Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as usual I found something that I really like and decided to store it away in a safe place where I can find it for a prop later. Of course now I can't find the paper that I wrote the link on. So can anyone help me find the post by a member who made a grave digger with a latex head or mask that looked surprisingly like the frightened grave digger at Disney Haunted Mansion? there was a link where the head was purchased. What I remember from last year is the prop head that the member used could be purchased with either the shaking mechanism or without this shaking mechanism. He has a wide eyed, frightened look and is really cool. I want to add a similar prop to my grave yard standing next to a opening crypt this year and would like to use this prop head.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe the "Caretaker" head from Ghostride? (ghostride.com). If you go to the posable characters page (I think that's what they coined it), there is a full body version, with hair, of this character with a lantern.

Steve

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fright Theatre, thanks for the help. Unfortunately this is "close but no cigar".:D What I am looking for looks very close to the caretaker in the Haunted Mansion and there is an available shaking motor inside. As I remember the head with the motor retailed for about $60. I appreciate your reply and if I can't find what I am looking for this will be a good second choice.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I now have my shaking caretaker head. Now I need to make the hands. A Witch From Canada made hers from maniguin prop stage hands that were purchased on eBay. I am not able to find these anywhere. SO...LAKE OF THE DEAD made some bendable skeleton hands from yard stake skeleton hands. I am wondering of these yard stake zombie hands could be heated or have wire inserted in the fingers and bent onto a curved form to hold a lantern with the palm down. Or does anyone have any other suggestionsl.
Graveyard Hands.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
caretaker_2011.jpg

I wish I took a better picture of this at the time of this particular version of my caretaker, but I still have the hands to show you.
This is a very inexpensive way to make articulate hands for a character like this.

I used;
1. A Pair of .99 cent brown work gloves
2. Cheap glow in the dark hands from Menards. They were rigid plastic (non-pose-able). The grave yard hands posted above would work as well.
3. Some 14 gauge electrical wire from the scraps department at Home Depot. A yard would do the trick.
4. I added some tile grout to simulate dirt on the gloves (optional).
5. Glue stick gun and sticks.
6. One piece of black pipe insulation foam (any size is fine).
5. White PVC pipe for the forearm (whatever size your frame is made from will do).

caretaker_hands.jpg

You are basically going to cut the fingers off from the plastic hands and glue-in wire loops for each one so they can move independently. Leave enough wire to twist and glue at the wrist (which is your PVC pipe). Add a little padding with some black pipe insulation foam to create the hand shape between the finders and the PVC pipe. Wrap the wires and foam in electrical tape. Cut the fingers off your gloves and slide them on. The whole process should take less than an hour. I hope you find this information useful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Scary Papa, I bought 50 pair of those hands ,they used to be Vinyl a few years ago and would have worked great with the coat hangers but they are now made of plastic , they will not work with the coat hangers and I could not get the fingers to bend right with the heat gun ,I would have sent them back if I did not get them so cheap ,I have a pair like ActionJaks found and they are pretty good

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I wonder if you filled those hands with play sand (like they say to do with PVC pipe before heating) they would bend properly without collapsing?

Just a thought.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
DaveintheGrave, that sounds good, where did you see that done .....EDIT ....I tried it and it was a little better but still bad ,it was worth a try,i think they are just to cheaply made

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've been looking to build a very similar type of gravedigger, that head is perfect!

One question: I'd love to make his arm holding the lantern tremble as well. I was thinking of just strapping a hitachi massager to the armature of the arm, but after testing one I'm afraid it might vibrate too fast even on the lowest setting. Any recommendations?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
DaveintheGrave, that sounds good, where did you see that done
I've seen it done here on the forum. Maybe MadMax did it? Well, sorry it didn't work out for you. But supposedly it works on PVC!
One question: I'd love to make his arm holding the lantern tremble as well. I was thinking of just strapping a hitachi massager to the armature of the arm, but after testing one I'm afraid it might vibrate too fast even on the lowest setting. Any recommendations?
What about a small vibrating motor? I used to see them on electronic supply and surplus web sites.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts