Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going with an alien theme for this year's yard decorations and I'm planning on making some nasty space creatures. I have a few designs that would look a lot better with a clear plastic dome helmet. Either a complete dome like these in Mars Attacks
b86f08a0fed9486847ad2cb914be5d25.jpg

or just a partial dome like a typical astronaut helmet.

I've looked everywhere for a cost efficient way to make these. Skylight domes are pricey and the wrong shape. Plastic fishbowls aren't big enough. I don't have access to a vacuform machine to make my own.

Any ideas on what I could use?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Victor: Those are certainly on the right track. I may need something easier to cut/trim so I can ensure that the opening is big enough to fit over an alien head. I've also seen folks use the plastic containers from those gigantic containers of cheese puffs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Intellygirl, I will have to check to see who i ordered one from but I was able to have the manufacturer change the opening size to a larger one and they did it for free. I am using it for a madam Leota projection. The company was lightbulbsurplus.com and the cost was $38.81 for a 14" dome. Hope this helps
Keith
oops sorry Intellagirl, my bad

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
So many great ideas. Thanks to everyone. I have a feeling my kiddos are going to end up looking like this so I can get some big clear containers.
LOL. What sacrifices we make for Halloween! When I needed big "lab" specimen jars to fit the magnifer sheets in for a watery look, we went through a number of pretzel jars from Big Lots. I think I must have at least half a dozen of them. Haven't had a craving for pretzels in quite some time. Starting early in the year gives you at least time to spread the food in the containers out :D. I'll keep an eye out for you on the alien helmet variety of containers. I was just at Costco but might be back in the next few days and will troll the food aisles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spookie: The one I'm working on right now has a ginormous head (guess I should have thought ahead, no pun intended). You can see him in the background in this pic. He might fit into a 16" dome. I'm not keeping the neck so long.
IMG_1660.JPG

Doh! The pic is sideways. Ack!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts