Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm pretty huge into Halloween, but honestly, I've ever been that big into costuming. As a 6' 4" 320 lb guy, I don't quite fit the mold of many of the characters I find scary/fascinating. However, the school I'm working at is doing a Halloween storytelling event, and I'm going to be doing a story. We are encouraged to be as scary as possible... I'm kind of at a loss for what a scary, tall, fat storyteller should look like. I am working on a budget and don't want to spend a ton. I thought about maybe a play off a Dream/Story eater, implying that my size is due to a large consumption of stories, and then having trinkets that each represent a story... but I thought I would reach out here before committing to anything!

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Be the boogey-man! The scary thing that visits children after storytime... after their bedtime, trying to terrify them into having bad dreams. Why? Because bad dreams taste better!

What does the boogey-man look like?

Something dark and shadowy. Something that would cast scary-looking silhouettes into a room in dim moonlight or from a feeble night light.

I say, find or make a very tall stovepipe top hat. Wear large pointy collars and exaggerated cuffs. (Find a vintage leisure suit and shirt from the 70s and spray paint/dye it black if they aren't dark.) Dust yourself with cornstartch. Think icky, dusty gray and black textures. Cobwebs. Dust bunnies you've collected from lurking under the unmade bed. Stringy, unkempt long hair. Maybe with some toys knotted/matted in the tendrils of the wig from creeping out of toy boxes. Blood-stained crooked teeth. Maybe a ripped up or tattered cloak or cape.

Probably the best thing you could invest in, is eye contacts. Go for something really jarring. If you saw those eyes peering at you from inside a bedroom closet, you'd freak out ( as an adult. )

Paint your face and neck gray, like a shadow. Wearing gloves would be easier than trying to paint your hands and arms gray for the event. If you can find the gloves with the finger/claw extensions, that would be perfect.

Wear long, wing-tipped shoes. Try to exaggerate all of your silhouettes and accessories to suggest 'stretching'. If you could manage to wear platform shoes, you might get closer to 7 ft tall which is going to be kind of creepy, like an additional distortion.

I would have been seriously freaked out if I was a little kid and someone looked like *that* and introduced himself as --the-- Boogeyman.

So, a vintage leisure suit from a thrift store, some pointed wingtips from a thrift store, a hat, spray paint or dye, face make up, a bad wig, eye contacts and maybe some false teeth and a cape. You probably have cornstartch in your kitchen. Cobwebs might be a bit tricky to source, but creepy cloth would work. The most expensive thing for the costume is the eye contacts.

I think that would be an awesome costume/persona for a story telling event. ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Twisty The Clown from American Horror Story season 6 comes to mind.

Here's the actor who played him, John Carroll Lynch. He's a fairly big guy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts