Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post for help. I have been creating Halloween Themes for the past 5 years. This year I am creating camp crystal lake.
I need to create a cool lake/water effect for the first 5 feet of my garage. I thought about blue vinyl and coating it with some sort of clear coat gloss. Maybe like 3 coats for thickness. I got the idea from train set mini lakes. But I don't know what type of product to use. Or does anybody have a better idea? Im going for as real looking, but stylistic as possible. Creepy, murky, shimmering. Any ideas? I'm starting early so I can go all out this year.

Thanks!!
Anthony

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I though about the projection idea, only thing is I am planning on having a young Jason in a canoe on the lake. =) I need to cover 5 feet by 12 feet the "Lake" will meet a back drop of trees/forest. I've done cellophane before, but I am to come up with something with more realism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I don't want to use real water though. since it will be the entrance of my garage... Good Idea if it was a yard. I'm thinking the model trainset faux water effect just on a bigger scale. Not sure what kind of clear coat or "goo" would work to build depth over a blue vinyl/tarp

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
If I remember correctly, last year someone had used sheets of that iridescent mylar (often used for gift-wrapping) and some blue spotlights to create the illusion of water flowing under a makeshift bridge.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks cool, like the effect! What type of vinyl did you use...from where? Light recommendations? Do you have a photo of setup in daylight? Thanks for the help! Sorry so many questions!

·
Registered
309 Posts
-It is just a sheet of white vinyl from Home Depot, I think it was in a 8' x 4' sheet. The silver mylar covers it so the color does not matter.
-I use this light, I think it may come in blue too: http://www.homedepot.com/p/LightShow-10-24-in-Green-Projection-Kaleidoscope-Spotlight-35864/205080983
-The light covers most of my little set up and reflects off of the silver mylar nicely, but it is very concentrated near the light source. If you projected the light from farther away than I am I don't think that would be an issue, though for a larger area you might want to consider two lights.
-Below is the setup during the day, the light is under the stump at the front of the pond.
IMG_0757.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the links, I don't think the one that faces up will project on the ground well unless straight above then it will be seen too easily. the other looks like it may work but the pattern isn't as good from what i could tell. Hmmmm, Decisions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the links, I don't think the one that faces up will project on the ground well unless straight above then it will be seen too easily. the other looks like it may work but the pattern isn't as good from what i could tell. Hmmmm, Decisions.
Yes, this definitely looks like something that would need to be projected downward.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts