Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a light check tonight and noticed you can see the fishing line holding up the levitating bride. I swear I didn't see it the last time I checked. I turned all other lights off but I could still see the line.

Any ideas? I'm desperate. This was my best effect and now.....

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Lightly spray with black spray paint? You'd have to block off the prop itself.

I'd probably try something silly like get a little bowl of black acrylic paint, and dip the pads of my fingers in it and then dab onto the line with my fingers to dull it down... but it might work without having to disassemble the whole thing?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried dipping my fingers in cornstarch and rubbing them down the line. It helped but not a lot. The black acrylic paint is worth a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about changing the angle of the light source or repositioning it to the prop.
I'm a little bit nervous about moving the light fixture since it took quite a while to get it firmly in place. Same with the prop. The scene looks great - just the reflection of the fishing line. I tried turning off and reangling the other light sources near the scene but no luck

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
Replace the line with black spiderwire fishing line.

You don't need to take the prop down to do this just switch one line at a time and cut the old line once you replace it

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You don't need to take the prop down to do this just switch one line at a time and cut the old line once you replace it
Thanks but I am out of time. Tomorrow I'll be going flat out all day and no time to go shopping. I'll remember that for next year, though. :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Monofilament line will show in the light. If you get braided fishing line (the spider wire mentioned above) you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you tried fluorocarbon fishing line? It's big selling point is it doesnt reflect light and looks invisible under water. You could try that. Or even a dark green braided fishing line might work.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I raced out this morning but all I could find was 30 lb Spiderwire Braid in moss green and 12 lb Spiderwire Fluoro in clear.

I don't know which to use and I won't know if it works until dark. Any opinion on this? I'd really appreciate it.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
Time for a test. I read where you have your black light up and don't want to take it down so you need to find a box large enough to cover the light and punch a eye size hole on one end. Then put the line in the box and over your light and your eye to the hole...that will give you the answer you're looking for.

Of course if you have another light and can go in a dark closet and test it would be a lot simpler.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's funny because I tried colouring the line black but it actually made it worse. It looked like black line holding her up. In the end I used the braided silver web wire (or whatever it's called - can't recall). It looked much better and no one noticed the wires. I could still see them if I really looked but then I knew they were there. It felt great when one kid pointed at the Bride and said, "Look, Mom! She's floating!"

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
that's funny because I tried colouring the line black but it actually made it worse. It looked like black line holding her up. In the end I used the braided silver web wire (or whatever it's called - can't recall). It looked much better and no one noticed the wires. I could still see them if I really looked but then I knew they were there. It felt great when one kid pointed at the Bride and said, "Look, Mom! She's floating!"
What I've learned over the years is that you will notice things like this and most other people won't. Your brain knows the lines are there and so you eye is drawn to it. Other people's eyes are drawn to the prop and the small details of a scene or prop aren't noticed at all. If they stand there for an extended period of time the eye will wander and start to pick up details but who does that except kooks like us?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right about kooks like us. LOL. I know if I saw a levitating prop that impressed me, I'd immediately look to see how it was done. I'm also the type who tries to figure out magic tricks That was the great thing about Houdini - he revealed how his tricks were achieved because he didn't want people accrediting him with paranormal status. Most were deceptively simple achieved through distraction, "helpers" in the audience, misconceptions and human gullibility.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would just pick up some matte black fishing line. Spider wire is great stuff I use it on my crank ghost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts