Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - First, I am a new to pneumatics, so with the I am an idiot disclaimer out of the way, where did I go wrong? The pipe on the output is not attached, but that shouldn't matter. The valve opens when activated. I can't seem to get pressure into this thing. Did I do something wrong in the air intake assembly? How about the air regulator? For some reason, I can't seem to get pressure into it. Also, does the air regulator keep the pressure from matching that of the compressor which is gonna be significantly more than 60 psi (the pressure I think this thing needs to fire at.)

Is this thing made to leave hooked up to your air compressor? By the way, I used 2" by 24" inch pipe for the tank. Is this ok?

OK - all FNG questions out of the way. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shopellis2/photo.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you have the knob on the air regulator turned up? That controls how much pressure the air cannon pressurizes to. If it is turned all the way down, it won't build any air pressure. Hook your air line up and turn the knob and you should see the air pressure rise. The air regulator is there to keep the pressure to the prop at the desired pressure, which is usually well below the 120 psi that a typical compressor can output. If you're only running one prop, you can just set the pressure on the compressor at the desired pressure, but when you get into multiple props running off the same tank, each should have it's own dedicated regulator. Good luck!

Edit: Also note that usually you have to pull out the knob before you turn it to turn up or down the pressure, otherwise it just spins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One problem solved. Pressurized. I now have the world's heaviest goose call.

I have to put the pipe or the reducer on the output. Currently have 1" output straight out of valve. This should be smaller right?

I think I know why you use a 2" x 12" in pipe for your tank instead of a 2" x 24" pipe now. a 24" pipe drinks air faster than John Daly drinks bourbon. This think sucks depletes some air quick.

One last question. What diameter pipe should shoud I run out of the valve and how long should it be. I want air on bodies more than sound.

Finally, if anyone is looking for a haunted goose sound, I will be happy to record this thing.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now thats funny. I built one of them last year. It, like yours, was like a goose call. I made the output as small as possible and it blasts air very good. I ran a 1/4" hose into the mouth of a zombie and it blasts air not any noise besides the hiss. Hope it helps.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
That's a big cannon! You'll want to run the pressure at the maximum rating for the valve. I built an air cannon last year and had the honking problem with my first valve. I solved the problem by using a Lawn Genie 1" anti-siphon valve. It works great. Here's a picture of the cannon before painting that shows all the parts...

It was a great success last year and I'll be using again this Halloween.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had the same problem when I made my Air Cannon last year. The thread Bradbaum posted was the one I started when I had the problem. Instead of trying to go cheap and mess around with more sprinkler valves and hacking them, which works well if you know how to do it, I went ahead and bought a solenoid valve just for this purpose at evilusions.com

Evilusions

Its awesome and works perfectly! The prop was a HUGE hit! Scared the crap out of everybody that walked by it! Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Goose call has been a constant problem when using sprinkler valves. Unfortunately for us cannon builders, sprinkler valves are built to gradually open and close to prevent hammering in the irrigation lines and an air cannon needs an instant dump to get the right sound effect you are looking for. I ended up using a Red Hat valve purchased on Ebay to get over the honking effect. Unfortunately, my initial test run with the sprinkler valve was done in front of some friends. They haven't stopped laughing yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts