Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! My name's Alan and I'm the new guy! So new that I'm just starting to notice that I'm just about the only person using their real name here. Is that uncool? Anyway, I started haunting when I was 10, helping my grandmother who dressed as a witch each Hallowe'en to decorate her house with cardboad tombstones, a hanging man, a wailing pumpkin headed ghost, etc. She passed away in 1975 when I was 14 so I gave up Trick-or-Treating and took over the haunting of my own house, starting with the props from her house but quickly developing into various special effects and then backyard adventures for the Trick-or-Treaters. In 1989, I sent a song called Hallowe'en Hysteria into Doctor Demento and he played it on his Hallowe'en show. The next year, I adapted it as a live show for Hallowe'en night and it was a hit so, from that year forward, I wrote a new musical show just about every year until 2012, ranging from single song - shows to full blown musicals like our 50 minute production of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in 2006. My mom passed away in 2012 and so, after 38 years of haunting, we had to sell the house so, while I did record a new song in 2013, I'm currently figuring out the future direction for my troupe, The All Hallows Players. Anyway, it will be good to immerse myself in my favorite holiday here at Halloween Forum. You may note, by the way, that I always use the apostrophe in Hallowe'en unless I'm using a title or quote from someone else who doesn't use it. Anyway, I'm slowly figuring out how this whole thing works so bear with me, please! I look forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks!

Happy Haunting!

Alan

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome. And you're not uncool at all, using your real name. As I always say, different is far from a bad thing. . . P.S. Love the background story! And I can't help noticing that you're the composer from another thread. . . I'll have to hunt down your work :D

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Whaddya mean, you're the only one who uses their real name??? I use MY real name :rolleyes::D.

Seriously, though, given your personal history with Halloween music, using your real name is the opposite of uncool. It'd be like Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, or Edgar Allan Poe using their real names. Oh, did I mention that I'm a BIG Dr. Demento fan (literally and figuratively)?

The-Raven-vincent-price-954310_1024_787 - Copy - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
877 Posts
actually hallowe'en is the right way to spell it!
it's in an episode of FRIDAY THE 13TH THE SERIES titled HELLOWE'EN
welcome alan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate that, JetskiJigsaw! On the other thread I mentioned that you can still hear several of the songs (7 currently, 5 from my album) on my old All Hallows Players MySpace page, the only thing left there after MySpace arbitrarily wiped out all of our blogs and photos with no warning. I believe it's MySpace/AlanSanbornandtheAllHallo/music/songs. It used to be AlanSanbornandtheAllHallowsPlayers but they somehow shortened that too. If you're interested in an album, let me know. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Thanks to you as well, Maleficent! How do you like our state's capital?

Pumpkinhead625 and Garthgoyle, if those are your real given names, I want to meet your parents! ;-) Thanks to you both for the very cool welcomes! And Pumpkinhead, it's not every day that I get mentioned in the same breath with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Edgar Ellen Poe so THANK YOU for that, undeserving though I may be! Isn't Dr. Demento the best?

Happy Haunting!

Alan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hallowmas, yeah I like the old fashioned spelling. I think it's got more character to it with the apostrophe in. Feels like an old fashioned Victorian Hallowe'en card or something. By the way, Hallowmas is a very cool name and something else that's very much from Hallowe'en's past! I don't know if even the Catholic Church still refers to the celebration of All Hallows Eve, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day as Hallowmas today but I think the whole Mexican Day of the Dead celebration echoes the time frame of it closely.

Happy Haunting!

Alan

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Hey! I use my real name here, at least phonetically! But don't phone, send a private message.
when our hired-helpless in October begin to look bored here at The Ravens Grin Inn, I threaten to make the Haunted house tour into a... "Musical!"
(That would teach them!)
If they are getting tired of talking to the patrons, how about having to Sing instead! "La-la-la-la!" Growl!"
I am and remain:Jim Warfield
Owner Ravens Grin Inn , Mount Carroll, Illinois OPEN almost every night going on 27 years! (Sat, & Sun. afternoons too)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts