Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Kira. I'm a mom, wife, self-professed pirate, small business owner, and probably a handful of other not so exciting things. I live in Spokane, WA.

I have loved the horror and macabre since I was a teenager and it has persisted well into adulthood, though I suppose the goth makeup has mostly stepped aside in favor of my curios and skull collecting. Before I was 18 I mostly lived in France and Spain, where the Halloween celebrating aspect is not as strong as it is here in North America, so when I moved here I already knew what my favorite holiday was going to be. I remember when I was 14 or so, I lived in Indianapolis for a little less than a year, and helped my uncle make some simple props for his front yard, I think that is where I caught the Halloween bug. (He also gave me the link to this forum!)

My kids, 4 and 6, are just as much into it as my husband and I. We start planning our costumes months in advance. I am also a coplayer, so until recently almost all my focus has been on that aspect of the holiday. Now that I am a homeowner though... I admit, I very much want to be *that* house on my block. I have some stiff competition (my neighbors have competing haunted houses going on 5 years now) and my budget is small, but we'll get there. Maybe at least I can scare away whoever keeps leaving the diversity of chick tracts and doomed-for-loving-Halloween flyers on my doorsteps this year (though honestly, I take it as a compliment at this point.)

My kids want us to build a pirate graveyard this year, tombstones will be a first for me, construction wise. Hopefully I can find some hints here.

Peace,
Kira Stewart-Watkins

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Hey Kira! Welcome to the forums. And congratulations on the new house!

Lots of info on tombstones here, but I don't think there's a wrong way to make them (well, unless it's windy and you forget to tie 'em down).

This is probably the classic tombstone tutorial that Terra put together a few years back. But there's no shortage of ideas or expertise here if you want to try something different.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/88906-building-halloween-tombstones.html?highlight=

If you're looking for something simpler and cheaper there's also this tutorial over on Dave Lowe's site on how to make one from a fed-ex box. Might be a good option if you want the kids to participate in some way.
http://davelowe.blogspot.ca/2010/10/14-days-til-halloween-shipping-box.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Thanks for the links!

I am not too worried about exclusively kid-friendly projects. I am not sure what it says about my parenting style but I let both my kids help me with all sorts of projects (building raised beds, laying flooring, sewing.) I grew up with really diy parents, I guess it rubs off.

I am having my kids design cardboard monsters for our three big front windows this year (saw an idea on pinterest...) for while I am using the more dangerous power tools.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to you and your family because all of you are going to get so much out of this site!! :D

GiggleingGhost

1 - 10 of 10 Posts