Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I love Halloween! And you guys have a forum to share about the holiday? Awesome. I wish I looked for this earlier. :)

My wife, however, isn't so thrilled about Halloween. :( I have to do all of the decorating, but before that I have to get her grudgingly let me put up spooky things, lights, etc. She just doesn't get this time of year, and she wrinkles her nose at things that are too creepy. *sigh*

Well, a little about myself...
  • I was born on October 24th, so I can really enjoy this time of year.
  • I'm Christian, with a strong faith, but I still love Halloween and all of the dark, bitter, acidic feelings associated with it. Some Christians would call me a heretic, and the Halloween-loving people I've met online don't get my Christian faith. So, I'm stuck between two polarized groups. I'm living proof you can be a strong Christian and still enjoy Halloween and more gothic affairs in life.
  • I'm as boring looking and as average as the next guy sitting in an office with a desk job (IT & Software Engineer), but I like the goth look. Love black, love gray. Into the whole Matrix look. But I don't dress the part day to day.
  • I used to game much more than I do these days, but in the past I loved the Halloween events in MMOs. My favorite of all time had to be Halloween inside Guild Wars 2. You just can't beat the Pumpkin King event and its group mission.
  • I love PC games like "Costume Quest", "Alice, Madness Returns", and more.
  • I love movies like "The Nightmare before Christmas" and "Beetlejuice", and even the old "Tales from the Crypt" TV series, but not a fan of horror movies. I'm in it for the experience, not the shock or fear factor.
  • If I was a Modern Family character, I'd be Claire, because Halloween is *my* holiday... and I'm a bit OCD like her character too.
  • When I was a kid, I was also into this whole dark/sinister thing. For example, whenever we had paper airplane battles, all of the names I'd choose for mine were along the lines of "Deathnaught", "Darkwing", "Death-mauler", etc. I was teased about it, lol. I even rooted for the villains in TV shows and movies. Not because I wanted evil to win, but because it was just fun seeing the extent of their darkness. I especially enjoy it when villains get a whole, complex story to their personality, and are as intelligent as they are clever. It just makes for a more enduring plot and experience.
  • I love goth metal/rock. And when watching movies, nothing like a orchestral musical piece with ominous latin chanting style vocals to really make a scene epic. Some of my favorite bands are Dream Theater, Tenebris, Dark Moor, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Sirenia, Symphony X, Leaves' Eyes, Kryperia, Evanescence, Tarja, Epica, and Kamelot just to name several.
  • I carved a HUGE pumpkin last year and lit it up on my deck. My wife enjoyed the pumpkin carving, but shrugged off everything else.
This year I want to make my own paper mache skeletons to hang out on my deck, and that's how I discovered this site, by one of your members' threads on making their own.

So, am I messed up, or do I just love Halloween? :cool:

pumpkin_2015.jpg

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Welcome cipher , you are not messed up ..... you are home , welcome to the forum , from across the water in England i look forward to chatting with you in the forum , and snap my partners the same she hates Halloween and all i do in preparation for it , but on the night she still takes part bu giving out the sweets to the kids and i think grudgingly does enjoy it a little , i just think she says she don't so she can moan ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome cipher , you are not messed up ..... you are home , welcome to the forum , from across the water in England i look forward to chatting with you in the forum , and snap my partners the same she hates Halloween and all i do in preparation for it , but on the night she still takes part bu giving out the sweets to the kids and i think grudgingly does enjoy it a little , i just think she says she don't so she can moan ....
Thanks, good to know I'm not alone in my predicament. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That,s one of the great things on this forum cipher , your never on your own when it comes to loving Halloween , and there's tons of us here who decorate , dress up , and haunt there houses even though there partners may not like it , it must be nice to have a partner who takes part though , but its our little burden and i like to think i,m a kind of Halloween missionary , spreading the Halloween word and converting those who don't like it into liking it ..... just not very well as far as my girlfriend it seems .....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi! I live in PA too - Bucks County, not far from Philadelphia. And if I was a Modern Family character, I'd be Claire too! LOL! A bit obsessive, controlling, but her heart is in the right place! And of course, I love Halloween!

Sorry your wife isn't as into Halloween as you are - I'm very lucky, my husband & I both really enjoy putting up a yard display, and now our two little kids are excited about it too!

Welcome, this place is fantastic!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi! I live in PA too - Bucks County, not far from Philadelphia. And if I was a Modern Family character, I'd be Claire too! LOL! A bit obsessive, controlling, but her heart is in the right place! And of course, I love Halloween!

Sorry your wife isn't as into Halloween as you are - I'm very lucky, my husband & I both really enjoy putting up a yard display, and now our two little kids are excited about it too!

Welcome, this place is fantastic!
Nice to see a fellow PA resident. :)

And Bucks County... isn't that the home of Bucks County Coffee? I have a long-time online friend from around that area in Coatesville, PA. Been to Philly a few times, and to King of Prussia mall once.

Thanks for letting me know you're here!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,603 Posts
Welcome to another PA haunter! glad to have you!

Reactions: cipher

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome Aboard CIPHER, I too am like you my wife isn't that much into the big day. Oh she will dress up and make a damn good looking witch, but that's about as far as it goes. BUT I would put her up against anyone on TLC when it comes to Christmas, but hey that's what makes us, us. You have happened across a site of some of the most creative people, in my opinion that you will ever see.

Reactions: cipher

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUT I would put her up against anyone on TLC when it comes to Christmas, but hey that's what makes us, us.
LOL! My wife too! She celebrates Christmas early, and continues celebrating it much later, and she listens to Christmas music in July!! hahaha. I love Christmas, but I can't get into the mood for it until after Thanksgiving each year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts