Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm just getting into the home haunting hobby after a bit of a hiatus from Halloween decoration. I used to work as a sculptor at one of the larger animatronic companies and am now trying to figure out how to put my skills to use in a much more affordable way for my own home. It's funny when you figure out that you cannot afford your own artwork.

This year I'm getting started small with just a handful of foam headstones, but I plan on doing a few critter sculpts for the coming year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sculpting and mold making are a blast. There are few things that I enjoy more. At the company I was at, we did new design and scupts from October until March. So, basically from Halloween to Transworld. Then from March to the following fall, we just pulled copies from the molds assembly line style. So it's kind of like you endure 7 months of factory work for 5 awesome months of creativity. It's like most jobs in that way, take the bad with the good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like a sweet gig. Or at least 5/12 of a sweet gig. Would you say that one has to have an art background in order to get a job as a pro sculptor or can one just get by on talent? (And good looks of course:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a sweet gig. Or at least 5/12 of a sweet gig. Would you say that one has to have an art background in order to get a job as a pro sculptor or can one just get by on talent? (And good looks of course:)
I would definitely say that if you have the sculpting chops and can get in front of the right person, there are jobs to be found. I worked with a number of people who had no training in this field, but figured it out on their own well enough to be good additions to the team. If you're into it, go for it. I sold a number of sculptures as a freelancer before I even thought about the job full time. You can make really good money (on an hourly basis) as a freelancer, less so as a staff employee.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Hello and welcome to another Buckeye Haunter!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts