Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to try and build a hellevator for my next project in 2018. I am kind of a stickler for a realistic experience and was wondering if anyone here has built one or been on one. I have not and was wondering what the experience was like and will it be worth building. Any cautionary tales or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Ages ago I was at some haunt where you enter an industrial style elevator. You entered one side and exited the other. The elevator had a small window peep that gave the illusion you were going down. They had some kind of reel of a wall with a line or section drawn so it would appear you were moving down floors. I imagined someone on the other side cranking that around. It was a fun, low tech way to achieve what you want to do. If you found some sound effect of an elevator operating, that would add to the experience.

I'm trying to remember if the elevator had any movement to it. You could set up some kind of vibrator plate on the floor to simulate the elevator in motion. A friend built an electric chair. He put a metal plate on the back of the chair and fixed a hand massager to it. That thing made a lot of noise--a great add for that prop. Probably something similar would work for you.

P.S. Is David S Pumpkins going to be there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS00xWnqwvI

·
Registered
636 Posts
This year, one of the "pro" haunts I went through had one, it was just done very badly. It was pneumatic but that it was it. Once inside, it was an empty, pitch-black box that moved. Completely dull. Don't do that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'd think you could accomplish a lot with some lights passing by a window on a roller and maybe an increasingly fast sound of floors passing by. Of course the real thing that would sell it would be for the floor to drop like a half inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts