Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,675 Posts
I have used a wood burner before, but it broke years ago...I need to get another one! My husband has used heat guns, but I haven't for crafting...yet. We do have a Dremel...we use it on our gravestones and such for detail work and lettering. More than anything, I use my glue gun. Lots of glue gun usage in my crafts!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I appreciate my power tools-- but I do a lot of household DIY on our place, and I fixed up a place to sell (I won't say 'house flipping' because that implies quick and substandard; the point is that the working tools have paid for themselves). I have done crafts using Dremel rotary tool and Dremel saw, wood burner, glue gun, miter saw, router, masonry wet saw, jig saw, cordless drill, grinder, belt sander, nailer (on the air compressor), soldering iron (for very simple wiring only)-- lots of stuff. I bought a heat gun before Christmas, but haven't used it yet. I have had a reconditioned band saw for a while, but haven't yet gotten to the project I got it for (making heat register covers). When (if) I acquire some skill with it, I'll use it for some crafts, too.
For Halloween crafts, the Dremel tool and glue gun are the nearly indispensable ones. The other tools help make things easier, but nothing would be the same without those two!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It's the bigger crafts that take bigger tools, like making a coffin or irregularly-shaped sign, or swapping out woodwork. If my husband were a Halloween enthusiast, I'd get his help, but he finds other things to do, and so I have to either build things myself or not have them.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,675 Posts
I guess I wasn't considering large items like that "crafts"...to me, those would be more like props and such. We have built cemetery fences, pumpkin trellises and such using our saw, drills, sanders, ect. Oh, I do use that sander often, too, both on crafts and props! Sometimes I have my husbands help, others, I'm on my own if he's busy. So I guess for actual small crafts, my most used tools would be glue gun, dremel, power drill and sander...for large props and such, I'd say the drill and sander, again, and our saws. :)

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I guess it does depend on what you think of as a craft. So far my props or larger crafts are more crudely done than my smaller items.

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Oh my gosh Matrix that is toooo funny. You reminded me of a story. A few Halloweens back I broke my hot foam cutter. I was just headed out to the garage with the electric knife in tow but was busted by my hubby before I even made it out of the kitchen! Humph!!!!!!
So as far as crafting goes you might say I use anything I can get my hands on. Lol

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
I've used my Dremel for tombstones and for carving the inserts of the fortune teller box and the vampire hunters kits I made for reaper victims. I love it, but the first time I tried to use it on tombstones was a disaster. I bought a heat gun last year for a corpsing project. Then there is the glue gun, and the electric stapler. And while not a power tool, I must list my trashcans, which all have black bottoms from being turned upside down and being used like make shift saw horses to hold anything I am spray painting black.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
In my studio i work with rigid foam so i use a drywall knife to cut the basic shapes and the dremel to clean it up and shape it.

printersdevil, unless you are familar with working with power saw's i wouldn't jump into using a jigsaw right away. typically a jigsaw is used for wood working and if you use it on foam it works but cuts a lot faster through it so you have to be used to controlling it or you could get hurt. I have worked with power tools all my life and i still have all my fingers but there have been close calls. If you want to cut foam try a dremel, they are great for shaping and carving foam.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was a sculpture student in college so I got to use some cool things. My favorite was a plasma cutter. THat thing was hardcore!. I learned to weld, forge and used a lot of hammer drills, saws etc. I used to have a good set of tools. I had an angle grinder that I attatched a disc to that was like a chainsaw blade "bracelet" between two plates. It was awesome but dangerous. I was carving a huge chunk of oak once and lost concentration for ONE SECOND and got a hand too close to it. It snagged my glove and yanked my hand around tearing a chunk out of my index finger. A few stitches fixed it up. THe doctor at the emergency room said " Next time leave me with more finger to work with" lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts