Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after doing some research and setting a budget I have decided to make a hearse as my first project of the 2015 Halloween season, and my first project as a member of these boards.

Today I set the frame of the hearse...

55fce04a-3666-4fe0-8b3f-d18fd7021eb2_zps0ko1kxdl.jpg

My main question is, my frame is 11 feet long (8 foot coffin holder & 3 foot driver stoop). Is this too big? Should it be smaller? I'm building it to hold my 6 foot toe-pincher, but even with that, it still feels huge.

Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That sounds like a huge prop with those dimensions. If you have a place to store it, go for it! I think you would do well to scale it down to a 6 foot bay with a 24-28" stoop. Then make a shorter toe pincher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I might end up doing. I put a 32" wheel next to it, and the wheel was dwarfed by the size of the hearse. Plus the extra size adds extra weight which will cause an entire new mess of issues.

My current dimensions are 11 feet total length (8 ft coffin bay, 3 ft stoop), and 4 ft wide.

I'm thinking of adjusting the scale down to a 6 foot bay, 2 ft stoop, and 3 ft wide?

Thoughts? If anyone has built one of these before I would love your feedback as to the proper dimensions.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,890 Posts
Welcome to the forum BF, anyone that takes on the challenge of a hearse, has my respect, I will look forward to following your progress

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum BF, anyone that takes on the challenge of a hearse, has my respect, I will look forward to following your progress
Thanks! I should have a bunch of photos shortly. I'm planning on getting this knocked out by the end of July. I also have a few other projects on the back burner as well, but for now this is the primary task.

Once I get the dimensions nailed down I'll be moving forward with the build aggressively.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Mine is 10'6". The only issue with size is storage and perspective. 32" wheels are too small in my opinion for one that big. I have 48" wheels on the back and 36" on the front. As mentioned above, Bobzilla did a great job on his. I copied Homestead Haunts version a while back, so mine doesn't roll on its own. It has 4x4 legs so it's pretty sturdy which is beneficial since someone is usually in it on Halloween. That is one thing to take into consideration..do you want it to roll on it's own wheels. I often think about building one that rolls on it's own and if I did I would throw down the big bucks for some Amish wheels. Mine is very heavy and we put it on those moving dollies from Harbor Freight to move it up and down the driveway

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look for a thread here by Bobzilla. He did a great job documenting his hearse build.
Thanks! While in the office today I will likely be doing a ton of research, and will check out his thread. I also took your advice on re-scaling the hearse. I feel much better with the newer scaled down version I have.

Mine is 10'6". The only issue with size is storage and perspective. 32" wheels are too small in my opinion for one that big. I have 48" wheels on the back and 36" on the front. As mentioned above, Bobzilla did a great job on his. I copied Homestead Haunts version a while back, so mine doesn't roll on its own. It has 4x4 legs so it's pretty sturdy which is beneficial since someone is usually in it on Halloween. That is one thing to take into consideration..do you want it to roll on it's own wheels. I often think about building one that rolls on it's own and if I did I would throw down the big bucks for some Amish wheels. Mine is very heavy and we put it on those moving dollies from Harbor Freight to move it up and down the driveway

After thinking it over, and a beer or two, I decided to downsize this hearse from 11 feet total length, down to 8'4" (6' bed, 2'4" stoop, 3' wide) which makes it easier to transport, and will make it possible to use the 32" wheels I have. My plan is to get some cardboard and cut out circles to see which wheel size looks the best, and which ones don't.

This configuration will still fit my 6ft toe-pincher, and better yet will hold one of the cheaper 5ft spirit skeletons without the skeleton looking like a dwarf.

My plan is to make this hearse so that it rolls on its own wheels. Outside of the frame, which is pine 2x4, I plan on using the lightest wood I can use, without making it too fragile to stand up to routine abuse, and the Florida climate. On the front I'm testing out a pair of 32" Rural King wagon wheels, and I'm thinking on the back, I'm going to order a pair of 38" or 40" Amish wheels. I'm thinking that 48" wheels in the back will dwarf the hearse now that I have downsized. I will need to see how everything looks with cardboard cutouts first. If the Rural King wheels break, then I'll order a pair of 32" Amish wheels to replace them. I figure since I already have the Rural King wheels, might as well give them a shot.

I'm thinking of using a 48" galvanized or steel axle with some pipe mounts, and "t" fittings to build a working axle.

I'm sure once I do some research on here I'll have a better idea as to which direction to go next.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent the past few days researching every single hearse project and I'm glad to say that I'm about done with the chasis, and have completed the frame!

I'll post some pictures once I get the wheels on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts