Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a B-E-A-utiful Saturday and I'm sweating my empty calories away in the garage! Its going along great, I thought it was gonna take me a good bit of time but its gone very smooth, and the prop is gaining weight quickly :confused: . I've been taking progress pics and will be posting them as I go. Lastly, I've come to three conclusions building this as an extreme rookie.

1) I'm a born-natural carpenter with ZERO experience....
2) I'm having some Severe beginners luck...
3) I'm just crazy smart...

Last time I posted pics (Bransons Wax Museum) they uploaded Huge and split in half so I'll give it another go....Enjoy! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
And you're on your way! I'll be following your progress. Thanks for the photos.

So is the hearse something like 3x5 feet? Guessing what your grid might be.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sheet is 4x8, I cut back 2ft for the rider/driver leaving 6ft for the coffin. Learning and modifying as I go...

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Several years ago a neighbor built a stage coach. He was given the actual old running gear of frame, wheels, this helped a lot. His "Blue Print" was a plastic toy stage coach. He did an incredible job!
Then the man who provided the old parts was to bring another set of such pieces so my neighbor could then build a stage coach for his own.
He's Still waiting!
The builder happened to see his work displayed in the front of a very fancy restaurant 70 miles from here.
Some guy came out to hassle him about looking at it so closely. This argument ended quickly when the builder proved that he had made it as he showed the Grouchy guy his initials on "His" product.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!! (7-21-14) Admittedly I had a severe case of "Lazy Man's Syndrome" this past weekend and only got around to purchasing the sides, front and rear of the hearse. Currently, the base where the casket would go is 4x6 with the coach (driver) being 2x3. One of the reasons, I feel, I didn't get the sides put on this weekend was because after all the Google searches I had done for horse-drawn hearses and looking at picture after picture (none of which gave measurements) I couldn't find myself to decide on a height for the carriage part.
Thus, after lots of thought, my own mental imagery and opinions from good friends who I consider a trick of all trades I've decided that 3ft would be just fine. I'm still not sure a bout the 4ft width but its already cut so I'm gonna fly with it.
So, as of right now, a Monday night at 11:55pm I'm taking All the measurements which includes two long viewing windows on both sides. Time to make up for this weekend right?? I forgot how much I've come to Love doing this! For the record its also 91 degrees outside and its not phasing me, sweat typically means someone is working hard....plus its just your body regulating body temp and it won't kill me, therefore I couldn't care less :D . I doubt I'll get any cuts done tonight but at least now the measuring will be done. More pictures to come!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Good luck IG. Where are you getting your wheels from? Big Lots has, or had, small and large wheels that work well on an old fashioned herds.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, yea i haven't gotten that far yet. I have no idea where my nearest Big Lots is, I'm assuming 40miles south...otherwise I'm gonna strap two sheets of plywood together and cut a wheel out of it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Its a B-E-A-utiful Saturday and I'm sweating my empty calories away in the garage! Its going along great, I thought it was gonna take me a good bit of time but its gone very smooth, and the prop is gaining weight quickly :confused: . I've been taking progress pics and will be posting them as I go. Lastly, I've come to three conclusions building this as an extreme rookie.

1) I'm a born-natural carpenter with ZERO experience....
2) I'm having some Severe beginners luck...
3) I'm just crazy smart...

Last time I posted pics (Bransons Wax Museum) they uploaded Huge and split in half so I'll give it another go....Enjoy! :)
Can't wait tp see your finished Hearse

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, ok, good that you have room to keep it intact, I thought it was going to be built to take apart for storage.
My original aim on this project, which hasn't changed, is for the hearse to be operation with four turning wheels. I do not wish to take it apart once it is done honestly. I'm pretty much going "all in" with this build since I feel I don't have anything REAL cool for Halloween yet....so a Calling Card of sorts. Ironically, with the property I own and the house I live in I have nothing but room. (That's the lesson I learn when an Ex whines and complains getting the house they want and I'm the one with the credit :confused: )

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sides, front and back work today. Lessons learned thus far 1) 4ft is too wide but the cut has been made so i'm gonna roll with it 2) Big cuts really suck w/o more sawhorses. Not too bad of work for a rookie carpenter right?

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can't wait to see it finished. This is one of the things I lust after. Alas, I have nowhere to store something that big w/o making the sides fold down, wheels come off, etc. Even then space is limited. Looking good so far but at this point your thread is only a tease to me. I'm going to have to avoid it until the build is finished or I'll find myself stalking...

One question though... what is your color scheme going to be? Are you sticking with black or going to use color?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good luck dude! Building a hearse was one of the more challenging projects I've done. You may want to consider skinning that OSB with some hardboard or other material. I have a few parts of mine that are OSB (the floor) and it doesn't look that hot up close, even painted with several coats. If you want the whole thing to roll, you should start researching how to make a chassis.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Good luck dude! Building a hearse was one of the more challenging projects I've done. You may want to consider skinning that OSB with some hardboard or other material. I have a few parts of mine that are OSB (the floor) and it doesn't look that hot up close, even painted with several coats. If you want the whole thing to roll, you should start researching how to make a chassis.
I agree, the OSB aint that pretty up close. But Halloween ain't about pretty. I built mine six years ago and after a couple of years in the garage, it's spent the last three outside year round in wind snow and rain and it still gets the job done at Halloween. That said, some day I will build another one, but that's because I want one that rolls and is much lighter.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the delay everyone! I've had some serious troubleshooting to do with life situations recently. I haven't touched the hearse for probably a solid 2 weeks because I've been working Every day. Tomorrow (Saturday) is actually my first day off in maybe 3 weeks *phew!*. Its suppose to be 90 outside and i'm planning some good solid work in the garage. I Still can't figure out how to do the wheel assembly so if anyone has a youtube link or just DIY url's I'd appreciate it. Pictures to come! Be patient with me. Oh also! I have a CRAP ton of scrap wood...I need ideas of what I can do with it for Halloween when taking a breather from the Hearse. Thanks! Pics coming soon!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts