Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to eat better and lose weight, so I can't have popcorn balls or brownies, or anything like most of the Halloween recipes I find.

Anyone know of any healthy Halloween treats I can try?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well, I think a lot of stuff isn't too horrible if you eat small portions, and I always try to choose something with natural ingredients rather than lots of chemicals.

As far as healthy though, I think the neat witches brooms made from pretzel sticks & string cheese are cute (search on pinterest for photos & how to), and I make a delicious pumpkin dip that's not bad. You take a can of pure pumpkin, add a block of *softened* cream cheese (you could do the lower fat kind), and a tub of cool whip (you could do the lower fat kind or even skip this ingredient), then add powdered sugar, nutmeg, ginger or pumpkin pie spice to taste.

You can dip apple slices, ginger snaps, large marshmallows, graham cracker sticks, lots of things. Stick with the apple slices to be healthy though. This recipe makes a lot, so I normally make it for parties & serve it in a hollowed out pumpkin. You can put leftovers in the fridge.

Many pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread or the like are probably pretty healthy for you if you make it from scratch. I always substitute coconut oil for any oil in recipes, but when I make banana bread, I use applesauce in place of the oil & it's awesome! A pumpkin bread with nuts, raisins & applesauce instead of oil would be really yummy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Vampire Kat, my life/job revolves around nutrition and exercise. The previous poster was right to suggest using coconut oil. I know this is about Halloween treats so I don't want to go all "Soup Nazi" on you regarding nutrition but any recipe that calls for some type of fat use coconut oil, butter, olive oil or lard - avoid vegetables oils as much as possible.

In your efforts to lose weight, remember this: carbs make you fat NOT fat! Good luck:)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Vampire Kat, my life/job revolves around nutrition and exercise. The previous poster was right to suggest using coconut oil. I know this is about Halloween treats so I don't want to go all "Soup Nazi" on you regarding nutrition but any recipe that calls for some type of fat use coconut oil, butter, olive oil or lard - avoid vegetables oils as much as possible.

In your efforts to lose weight, remember this: carbs make you fat NOT fat! Good luck:)
YES....this is how I eat. Problem is I learned to do it too well so the weightloss stopped at 70lbs :)
I make alot of sweet recipes with flax/almond flour/coconut flour in the microwave. Does anyone know if I can use the Dollar Tree silicone molds to cook halloween shapes in the microwave?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I find food coloring & sprinkles make a world of difference. For non-dessert items, if you have seaweed wrappers & a shaped paper punch, you can cut out little bats or whatever and put them over everything (though keep in mind these will mush up if they get wet.) Also, small cookie cutters can make shapes out of tortillas or similar flat foods that you can arrange.

To me, tiny arranged foods are always more exciting, so any time i do healthy treats, it usually involves fun arrangement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts