Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried projecting video into/onto a haze filled room? I was thinking of using a hazer and fog machine in a closed room with a viewing window and projecting a ghost like image...thoughts? Thanks again, HH

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
i think the big downside with what your talking about would be that, if you wanted a ghost in the middle of the room, you would be able to see the light beam all the way back to the source

·
Registered
683 Posts
seems like this might be easier and just as effective...
.YouTube - Bates Haunt - Halloween 2006's Haunted Yard
This is a specially designed program using only one projector and a neighbor's house across the street. The design incorporates a template of the house fascade and then the animations programmed to display on the window or garage.

I think both fog screen and this projection rate about the same in complexity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about front projection? Light source would be in front of audience not facing them. Not sure if I could get enough fog to do the job.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
I did start with a rather lengthy post about how light works, but now have a better idea......

This is an easy enough idea to test, just get a fogger fill a room with fog and turn a projector on, you will soon see why this idea doesnt work.

In order to get a cohesive projected image you need a reletively laminar surface.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
There are quite a few companies that make these screens, they are universally expensive, and with good reason.

The 'trick' is in the design and building of a laminar flow filter, and I believe the link above achieved this using drinking straws... if memory serves correctly it actually builds three filters one for the fog and two for clean air, this solution provides a clean air barrier to help contain the fog, and also helps the fog form a screen via the Bernoulli effect.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Projection on fog

Hey all... this is my first post since Halloween (took a break!). I'm sure a lot of you have seen the attached video from Disneyland/World? Same thing as the "Fogscreen" idea I suppose.

YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean's Davy Jones

&

YouTube - Walt Disney World Pirates of the Caribbean

My own hope is to one day project a ghostly figure onto fog that is vented in an upward fashion. SOrt of like a mist that come from the ground (or grave) straight up and then (with video projection) forms a ghost!

Sigh... will it be this year or not? I'm not sure! LOL

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
yeah, pretty much, if you look at it from above you would actually see something more like

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

where x would be a nozzle supplying air and o would be supplying fog.

The nozzles would be made from drinking straws as that's just about the cheapest way to make a laminar flow filter.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
so would each one of your Xs and Os be one of these? ie: a couple of rows of nozzles for each stream
YouTube - Build a laminar flow nozzle for $15
nice find, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind, however, you would need to make 3 nozzles, and instead of being round they would need to be a strip, maybe with a cross section that looked like this

xxxxxxxxxxx
---------------- x
------------------ x
-------------------- x
--------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------- AIR
-------------------- x
------------------ x
---------------- x
xxxxxxxxxxx
---------------- x
------------------ x
-------------------- x
------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------- FOG
-------------------- x
------------------ x
---------------- x
xxxxxxxxxxx
---------------- x
------------------ x
-------------------- x
------------------------------------------------------------ AIR
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------- x
------------------ x
---------------- x
xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
I think a rectangular strip nozzle would work best, the real trick is the drinking straws and gauze which creates the laminar air flow, the actual nozzle is just to create a means of accelerating the airflow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts