Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been working on my "big" project since July, only to find myself tripping up at the finish line, and could really use some help.

The prop is a facade for the front porch that will transform it from a boring old ranch-style into a Gothic cathedral, complete with stained glass windows. The only problem is, I've braced the back of the windows with plywood (similar to stage sets) and have approximately 1/4" of space in which to figure out how to do lighting. Or, I even considered maybe drilling holes through the plywood and setting a floodlight behind it. Any tips or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated, I don't want all this hard work to go to waste!

·
Registered
440 Posts
So the challenge is getting lights into a 1/4" space? You might think about string lights around the outside edge that might give it a glow. LED lights can be pretty bright and yet small. If you post a pic it might help. Can't wait to see it. Sounds very cool!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The finished product (2 of them anyway) from the front

A shot from the back. The plexiglass (3'x6') rests in a pocket carved into the foam approximately 1/2" deep. But with the width of the plexiglass, I'm left with about 1/4" of clearance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
First, Great job those look amazing.

Assuming you are wanting them to be backlit.....with that much space, all you really can use is something along the lines of christmas lights / rope light / LED strip light.

You might consider just using a floodlight from the outside and light up the wall entirely.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
If you don't mind sliding the entire facade ahead 4" or so, you'd be able to install fluorescent tubes behind the windows. You could use vertical 2x4's behind the edges of the windows, horizontals above & below. These will add rigidity to the facade.

That's the best I can come up with, sorry.... The effect is great, backlighting would really make it jump out at you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just cheap acrylic paint from Wal-Mart. About 3-4 years ago, I did the archway from Terra's tutorial. Well now I've moved and my stupid house has a porch that's 5 times bigger than the old one (which I guess is good for most normal people but I've never claimed such) so I had to expand the idea to encompass the whole thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Those are fantastic. I can't think of any way to light through the plywood without having hotspots in the panels, which wouldn't look natural. I think your best bet would be multiple white LED strip lights attached to the plywood. You could overlay the LEDs with a white sheet or white/opaque vinyl shower curtain liner to diffuse the light somewhat and keep the panels from looking "striped".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a really good idea, Kelly_A.

Unfortunately until Congress decides to play nice with one another (HA!) I don't get paid, so they may not even get to see the light of night this year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unfortunately until Congress decides to play nice with one another (HA!) I don't get paid, so they may not even get to see the light of night this year.
oh no! Yeah, unfortunately those light strips, in the lengths you'll need, supporting power supplies and connectors won't be cheap.

However, eBay does have good prices on non-waterproof white led strips right now. You can get 5 meter strip for $4.60 (300 LEDs). free shipping. You'd need a few of those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER-Super-Bright-White-5M-300LEDs-3528-Flexible-Lighting-Strips-12V-/400493231736?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item5d3f41be78

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm wondering...if I drilled a bunch of little holes into the plywood and mounted christmas lights BEHIND the board, with the bulbs poking through to the front, if that would work. Probably make it look like a Lite Brite if nothing else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts