Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just came onto this site, in hopes of getting some new ideas for our next Home Haunt.
Have you ever sold a prop, and then had second thoughts about it, as you know, that you will never ever be able to replace it, or top it?
We just sold our 1976 Cadillac Hearse on Friday, just 3 short days ago, and I am still in morning for her.
She was a wreck, and she had a rusty frame, and her headliner was hanging down over the drivers seat, you could only open the drivers door from the inside, one of her side passenger doors would not open, she has some rust in her wheel wells, her roof had a small leak in it, her floor boards were rusty, she had never ever been washed in years and years, and she was covered in a green slime and mold, she had been lowered by the previous owner so low, that you couldn't go over any speed bump without getting stuck on it.
She ran great, her motor was strong and she was LOUD, Harley Davidson LOUD, as she had Straight pipes, one coming out each side, and she had Cherry Bomb exhaust on her.
But, aside from her many faults, she was a member of our family, and for the month of October, she came alive for Halloween night, and was a Rock Star for the entire long Month of us celebrating our favorite time of year....Halloween.
She would steal the show, each and every year, and due to the virus , she seemed to become an even bigger star this year, for some strange reason.
People were lined up this year, to pose with her and in her and on top of her, lol and she was truly Happy in her new life.
Well, we sold her on Friday.
It was a sad day, but we had no place to keep her, and she was costing us money to keep her, as we needed to keep her insured for the entire 12 months, so that we could park her on the road.
We had her for 3 years, and it was time to let her move on, to another adventure, with some one who is going to be living in her.
Yup, she is going to be some one home, for the next while.
At least she will be Loved again, and not just for one month out of the year.
We regret having to sell her, for so many reasons, and we really do miss her.
Have any of you, regretted selling any of your Props, only because you know, that you will never ever be able to replace them, with something even Cooler.
The lack of Storage is the biggest challenge that we all have.
If we all had unlimited storage, can you just imagine how much better all of our Haunts would be.
We sure do miss our Hearse.
Rust in Peace our Friend.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,372 Posts
welcome aboard! i don't think i've ever let something go that i really missed, but then again, i've never had any particularly big-ticket items.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for sharing the story. What a sweet old girl. Sorry you had to sell her. 😥.

Because I am the world’s worst about having buyers remorse, when I decide to get rid of/rebuild a prop bigger and better, with the exception of my cauldron witch, I typically hold onto the old prop until I build the new one. That way, if it isn’t better, I can sell the new one ha ha. Doing this also makes it a little easier to let go if I have the new one finished or close to it. My favorite problem is not using a prop ever then a month after you’ve sold it realizing that you need it ha ha. That has happened several times. I don’t think I’ve ever sold one and genuinely regretted it though.

She sounded like a really awesome car so I can fully understand you feeling that way. I’m sad for you too. If you’ve got a picture of her by all means please share it with us! Lots of us are also “car guys” too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My big regret was not in actually selling the prop. I had made a ten-foot Styrofoam Egyptian pharaoh for my Mummy's Tomb haunt, and loved it so much I didn't want to throw it away. I said I'd dismantle it and give it to anyone who wanted it. Some guy on the (now defunct Halloween haunter site) said he'd love it. I cut it into sections, packed it up, mailed it, and told him how much he owed me for postage. Never heard from the punk again. So I regret not getting the money first. It was around $50, cheap for the impact that thing made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve got the opposite problem, I always regret not buying something and wish I did after it’s too late. The giant Home Depot skeleton last year is a perfect example. Too bad, so sad, I was slow. Most of my Halloween stuff I hoard, and I would rather give stuff away than sell it when it’s time to make room. That being said - I miss my little telco motionette wolfman. I have no idea what happened to him after the 90s, my mom probably sold him at a garage sale after I moved out or something. One day if I have some extra cash I’ll grab one off eBay for the nostalgia. They’re around 50 bucks now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts