Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on here all the time about people in the UK or Southern States who always wish they were another place so they could enjoy the weather change and experience the sights and smells of Fall.

My question is have you ever moved/or did not move, with one of the top reasons being season related? Like if you are in a place that does not experience much seasonal change around Fall, have you ever moved specifically to enjoy that? Or have you ever not moved to a place with no seasonal change because you'd miss the seasons too much?

I could not move somewhere where there aren't 4 seasons. I think I'm just too Canadian. As much as I dislike hot summers, I reap the benefits of a classic Fall. And dispite the harsh winters, dirty springs and humid summers, the two months of Fall is one the the top 5 reasons I couldn't move elsewhere.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My husband has mentioned several times a desire to move somehwhere like California, Arizona, Florida, etc all places with no fall. I have absolutely refused to move there. I told him if and when we move eventually (big if there) then it would be to somewhere like Massachussets, Vermont, or New Hampshire for the fall weather and for real snow...... two of my must haves during the year. Real snow here in TN is dwindling down which makes me sad and tends to make me have the urge to move. Maybe after he gets done with school we will be heading to one of those areas who knows. All I do know is it won't be somewhere without them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I moved to Florida when I was 8 because of my parents. I'm originally from New York. I've been down here so long now that I've established my friends and started my new family here. The longer I stay the more I feel it's going to be harder to move.... however, my wife and I have always entertained the idea of moving up north (she's a 7th generation Floridian).

We don't' want to move up to Canada or anything, but, over the last 6 months especially, we've been looking at North Carolina (both of our 'dream' move would be to there) and Kentucky (the Seminary school she is studying at is in Orlando and Kentucky).

And I can stay with certainty that the biggest reason I want to move is weather related. My mom lives down here and loves the heat, but I HATE it. Florida (at least central and southern) get two seasons - hot and humid and hot. I don't remember the last day it hasn't rained, my backyard is an absolute mosquito farm... and I'm talking the mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds. I can't do any projects outside because of how wet, humid, rainy, buggy, and HOT it is.

I think Florida is an excellent place to visit, but I do not enjoy the environment. So if anyone is looking for a house-swap to Florida, we've got a beautiful 1936 wood frame house that has great characteristics and charm. :D

So.. have I moved because of seasons? Not YET. That's my answer. If the market weren't as crappy as it is, our house would have already been for sale, but we feel we wouldn't get anywhere near what we even paid for it, so we feel stuck here.......

/vent

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Us lifelong residents of Florida visit TN and wish we could live there. Somewhere in the mountains near Gatlinberg would be good for me.

My husband has mentioned several times a desire to move somehwhere like California, Arizona, Florida, etc all places with no fall. I have absolutely refused to move there. I told him if and when we move eventually (big if there) then it would be to somewhere like Massachussets, Vermont, or New Hampshire for the fall weather and for real snow...... two of my must haves during the year. Real snow here in TN is dwindling down which makes me sad and tends to make me have the urge to move. Maybe after he gets done with school we will be heading to one of those areas who knows. All I do know is it won't be somewhere without them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Haven't moved but would in a second if I could!!
I hate winter. We usually have no fall. It is more like winter, spring, winter, winter here most of the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OHHHH How I wish lived back home in the fall! I am from Indiana and am used to beautiful falls with festivals and crisp cool weather. My Husband is in the Military so we now live in Louisiana, for the last 3 years. I would move back the second we could just for the fall! But there is more to wanting to move than just fall. You see my experience in the south is that no one celebrates Halloween like they do up north. Trying to find Halloween stuff is like finding a needle in a haystack! I was told once by a hobby lobby employee that "they wouldn't be getting too much Halloween stuff in because it was a Christian organization!" I laughed and said really? Well the hobby lobby up north celebrates it, but they must not be the Christian kind right? Whatever don't get me started on Halloween vs Christians!

Anyway I have worked out a little plan each year to get my fall fix! I fly home for a week or so when they have what they call the Bridge festival in October. Its a week long outside festivals that take place by all our covered bridges (so it's beautiful in the fall). I get to do this for my birthday on the 16th, my husband is oh so understanding. Thank God! Anyway that's how I get through it without going insane...

·
Registered
170 Posts
OHHHH How I wish lived back home in the fall! I am from Indiana and am used to beautiful falls with festivals and crisp cool weather. My Husband is in the Military so we now live in Louisiana, for the last 3 years. I would move back the second we could just for the fall! But there is more to wanting to move than just fall. You see my experience in the south is that no one celebrates Halloween like they do up north. Trying to find Halloween stuff is like finding a needle in a haystack! I was told once by a hobby lobby employee that "they wouldn't be getting too much Halloween stuff in because it was a Christian organization!" I laughed and said really? Well the hobby lobby up north celebrates it, but they must not be the Christian kind right? Whatever don't get me started on Halloween vs Christians!

Anyway I have worked out a little plan each year to get my fall fix! I fly home for a week or so when they have what they call the Bridge festival in October. Its a week long outside festivals that take place by all our covered bridges (so it's beautiful in the fall). I get to do this for my birthday on the 16th, my husband is oh so understanding. Thank God! Anyway that's how I get through it without going insane...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bah keep your snow! I hate being stuck in my house for 4 months out of the year. My wife says to me the other day: "What are you going to do if there is a foot of snow on the ground this year on halloween?" This is a reality that we have to live with up here. See how many ToTs you get when the temp drops below freezing.

I want to move somewhere where the climate is a bit more mild. Where I can ride my bike year round. Where I can work on things in my garage year round. Where kids can actually wear costumes that dont require long underware when they go out TOTing. If I want to see the leaves changing, I will just fly back and visit the parents.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I would do it in heart beat but i imarried a North Carolina boy & he is not leaving his home here.
I was born & raised in Chicago, my family is still there, But I left at an early age & moved out west to Denver....wanted to be a cowgirl!!

I loved the festivals in Chicago & Denver is just beautiful, I miss it terribly. I'm sorry but I hate the North Carolina weather. This year the humidity has been so bad we had a hard time making the chocolates since early spring. Even w/ the dehumidifying equipment I have I can't keep the humidity in line to dip chocolates. We lost a lot of candy this year because of it.

I miss the fall & feel Carolina weather is just to much heat. The sun like doesn't know when to give ya a break!lol I do feel its beautiful here w/ its mountains & coastline just a few hours drive but give me that cold gusty wind in the morning when the leaves are dancing in circles & the smell of people burning leaves>>>>>oh I miss that...AND SNOW!!!I miss the snow!

the Muffster

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a tough time feeling any sympathy for those that complain about humidity lol... I just can't imagine it's worse than Florida... especially inland like I am. The beaches and coastline are bearable because they've got the breeze, but here... just 45 minutes from the beach is literally unbearable to be outside. We, as a family, can spend 10 minutes outside without bug spray before my son has double-digit amount of bites, and if it's not 100% humidity (raining), it's in the mid to upper 90's!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't moved but would in a second if I could!!
I hate winter. We usually have no fall. It is more like winter, spring, winter, winter here most of the time.
Wow, I had no idea!

I feel for those in the Southern States too. I know it's hard when a lot of the country is getting classic fall weather and lots of decorating options and it's sometimes not as embraced in the South. But that's the beauty of America I guess...you like the heat, you move down south, you're tired of the heat you move up north.

Canada is like snow from late October - late April, Spring in May (to August if it's a cold summer) Summer from June - early September, and Fall from late September to late October. So if winter decides, it can be half a year long...LOL. I know some people who, despite enjoying Fall, can't stand the winter that follows it and, if had the option, would move to the heat year round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts