Halloween Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This years theme is the Zombie Apocalypse ( I was out voted) and we are going to have a very military theme outisde, and a hospital theme inside. When the people walk in they will enter through a decontamination "area". (It's a huge area 21ft long by 7 ft wide. We will be putting up opaque plastic all around this area, and it will have a little maze of decon. showers inside.) So here's where my favorite halloween site comes in handy. I would like to have something that will spray the people when they walk inside. I would prefer it to be random and not constant, It also cannot be a liquid (its going to be cold for some of the kids). I was thinking about hooking an air compressor up to a cheap pvc pipe misting device, but I'm not sure it will "Spray" enough to cause a startle. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was also thinking that I could just have a fogger going inside and then have someone in one of the white suits with a spraying device (some kind of wand with a nozzel on the end, again hooked up to the air compressor.) The person would be slumped over (dead) with the nozzle pointed where people will be walking, then of course he or she could "Spray" at will.

Any help or comments would be fantastic! Thanks guys!

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,963 Posts
That sounds like a cool idea! Compressed air would definitely be called for.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,671 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool theme for a haunt. Here are some of my thoughts on your idea.

A few years ago I went to an outdoor festival in august. Because it was so hot, they set up "cooling stations". These were open-sided tents, and inside the tents they set up these square frames made up of galvanized water pipe 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide, with a garden hose attached at the base. on the inside of this square were 6 nozzles (3 on each side) spraying inward. The hose fed water into the frame, and out of the nozzles. By forcing the water through the tiny openings in the nozzles, the water came out as an ultra-fine mist. It was very effective at cooling people off quickly, but because the nozzle openings were so tiny, they used relatively little water. I stood under this thing for the better part of a minute, but only got a little damp.

So, my idea is this: Use a lot of compressed air and a little water to achieve your effect. If you know someone in the plumbing trade, they may be able to help you build this.

Build a square or rectangular frame out of galvanized pipe, with 2 or 3 tees along each side of the frame (left and right as you look into the doorway). Protruding from each of the tees will be a 3 or 4 inch long pipe, all angled to point down towards a central point in the middle of the floor, with nozzles on the ends of the tee pipes. Somewhere on this framework, you add an extra tee so you can connect it to a compressed air line.

Next, you run two 1/4" soft copper tubing lines along each of the pipes with the tees on them. The copper water lines will tap into each of the the tees about an inch or two above the nozzle. The other ends of these lines will be connected to a water supply.

This whole framework will hang from the ceiling just inside your decontamination area entrance.

Here's the concept. You use either a trigger or a random timer to make bursts of air, with water injected into the nozzles in the middle of the air bursts. As an example, we'll say we're going to do a 15-second burst. The sequence would go something like this:

>trigger or timer opens the air valve, spraying a burst of air from the nozzles.
>3 seconds later, the air continues as the water valve is opened, injecting water into the nozzles, creating a mist from the nozzles.
>5 seconds after water valve is opened, it closes, as the air continues.
>air continues for another 7 seconds, then the air valve closes.

This will give you a good visual and audible effect, but very little actual water will be sprayed. It could spray right onto the ToTs, but they wouldn't get wet...just enough to mist them enough to feel it, but not get soaked. The times I put are just an example but the basic thing is, the water is injected after the air begins and before it ends, which sprays out as an ultra-fine mist. You could also try a different number or arrangement of nozzles.

Anyway, just some ideas I had. I hope I explained them clearly enough to understand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts