Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been out looking for a relationship for a while now. While on this journey, i have found that everyone thinks im dark, evil and a psychopath for loving the holiday where having skeletons and blood everywhere is actually ok. These people just end up leaving and i never hear from them again. Has anyone else found that this temds to be a problem for them as well, or was a problem? How did you find someone like minded as us?

Registered
So ive been out looking for a relationship for a while now. While on this journey, i have found that everyone thinks im dark, evil and a psychopath for loving the holiday where having skeletons and blood everywhere is actually ok. These people just end up leaving and i never hear from them again. Has anyone else found that this temds to be a problem for them as well, or was a problem? How did you find someone like minded as us?
Just spit ballin' here but maybe leave the blood & guts part out of the conversation when getting to know someone. 馃槈

E Pluribus Bitum
It was never a problem for me, but my circles are mostly within dark subcultures. I'd say if you're not part of any dark subcultures, put it right up front. If you have a Tinder acct or the like, say it - "Halloween freak seeks same." or "Must love the scarier side of Halloween." If someone knows up front, it will filter out the people who don't get it.

I met my husband in a goth club- love of skulls, skeletons, other deathy things, dark subjects, and especially Halloween, are all very common there. Other people I dated before him, those I met at other subcultural events or similar clubs. There are curiosity expos, horror and haunt conventions, and a lot of these are not only around Halloween. Death salon, death positivity movement groups, etc. Just putting yourself out there where you're more likely to meet someone who's excited to see skeletons instead of squicked out by them might help. When someone from outside my circles was interested in me, it was inevitable that they'd find my interests scary or would be too curious and almost fetishize it, so I just didn't bother with anyone who seemed 'fascinated' by it or put off- it's pretty out front with me, though, in my style and such. Meeting my husband also meant combining decor, books, movies, and music that was all highly compatible.

Keep trying! It's totally worth it to eventually find that one who shares it all with you to some degree. One thing's for sure, anyone who nopes out over fake blood and skellies isn't someone who'd work out, anyway. There would always be that thing they'd rather you not be into, and that's asking you to not be yourself.

Registered
Not been a problem for me. The wife and I Matched online. We talked and emailed for a month or so before we met in person. The Halloween display was something she started before we met and her first question to me when we met in person was " Do you like Halloween?" I had never decorated before that but I have always enjoyed Halloween so it was a perfect match.

Registered
We met around 8 years ago. It was in April and I really made no mention of it thinking it was a big deal. We were doing the whole her place/my place thing. When I put the SpookyTown display up Sept 1 she started catching on. Is she passionate about it...? No, but she did really nice PR work not knowing from her network of friends.

Just put all your stuff in a place where you don't see until around Halloween. Move that skeleton that you have on the couch year round. You can feel her out on when to introduce her to your hobby.

Registered
Why would anyone here want to date or marry a Halloween hater? My husband of many years isn't into it the way I am, but then again, if I wasn't here, he wouldn't decorate anything, anytime. His sister told me about the sad, bare way he lived before we met. Seeing as he just can't be bothered, I suppose he won't bother to get rid of anything if I go before he does. If he does do a house clearing purge, I hope he gives Harvey the life-size library skeleton to a good home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Savage Night
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing