Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you already know, the Montgomery county, MD government, at the behest of a small number of individuals with obvious political connections, has been trying to shut down Rania's haunt, The Haunted Garden. The hearing began yesterday, but ran short on time, so will be continued on December 17th. Prior to yesterday's hearing, someone claiming to be a friend to The Haunted Garden created an online petition to save the Haunted Garden. Then yesterday, everyone who signed that petition, including myself, received this e-mail:

Dear John,

On Oct 30, 2013, you signed the petition, The Joke Is On You. The petition author, DaJoker EnCompany, has now closed the petition and sent this message to all its signers:

---------------------------------

Hi, just wanted to let you know my friends, the joke is on you. How do you like me now?

---------------------------------

On behalf of Care2, thank you for making a difference. The PetitionSite hosts thousands of petitions just like this one. Please continue taking action by going to:

http://thepetitionsite.com

Sincerely,

The Care2.com &
Pretty underhanded, huh? These cowards, thinking they had the last laugh, waited until the day of the hearing to send this e-mail, but they never anticipated that the hearing would be continued. Today, the Haunted Garden posted this on facebook:

The Haunted Garden shared a link.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-the-haunted-garden/

In case you missed it, the old petition that we thought was so graciously created, was actually fake and taken out from under us. A trustworthy friend has created a new online petition and we would be grateful for your support! We go back to court on December 17th to continue our testimony and wait for a ruling on our future.
We can put these [email protected]@hats in their place. Please take a minute and follow the above link to sign the legitimate petition, and show these
jerks that they DON'T get the last laugh, that we can get many, many more signatures than the original subversive petition did. Let's show them the shock and awe of the haunting community.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Not gonna sign. If this is the haunt I think it is, I don't live in the neighborhood and if I am correct, neither does Rania. This is a neighborhood dispute and the neighbors should decide it. I wouldn't want any outsiders coming in and telling me what I can and can't do in my neighborhood. And the problem might not be the haunt itself, but the guests. We had well known Christmas show guy shut down operations because of the rudeness and utter disrespect the viewers showed his neighbors. Lots of fast food trash, empty cans and full diapers in your yard, might get you to frown on their light show or haunt.

I don't even see this as a anti-Halloween thing, more like an anti-yourscrewingupourneighborhood thing

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not gonna sign. If this is the haunt I think it is, I don't live in the neighborhood and if I am correct, neither does Rania. This is a neighborhood dispute and the neighbors should decide it.
The majority of the residents in the neighborhood support the Haunted Garden. There are maybe a dozen people who oppose it, and some of them have influential political connections.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
The majority of the residents in the neighborhood support the Haunted Garden. There are maybe a dozen people who oppose it, and some of them have influential political connections.
We only have one side of the story here. "The majority". The initial petition to shut it down was listed as '19 neighbors'. Does that mean 19 houses? 19 individuals? I'm assuming they'd have to be adults. And how large of a surrounding area are we talking? Assuming 2 adults per household, that's still 10 houses. 10 houses near me would be a significant percentage. "The Majority"? Maybe not, but a fair chunk.

Fact:
They were cited in 2011 for violating city code using business logos for advertising. (this becomes a business event, not a home haunt)
Cited again in 2012 for the same thing.
It should come as no shock that after those 2 warnings, using the company resources AGAIN and failing to file for the proper licenses in 2013 brought some stricter action.

source: http://www.gazette.net/article/20131016/NEWS/131019383/0/haunted-garden-rises-again-in-silver-spring&template=gazette

·
Registered
169 Posts
After reading the newspaper article I'm sort of on the fence. She was cited two years in a row for using her business logo and website to invite people to a residential area. Secondly if she was hosting it for numerous nights why did she not have some form of crowd control so that chaos was handled? I saw a news report showing that THIS year she had help but it implied that she had never had help before.
We have hundreds of people come trick or treating at our neighborhood and everyone chips in for someone to control the crazy traffic. She may have to consider moving to a non residential area.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Rania's work is AMAZING. I think she could, or should, work on a professional haunt in a commercial location. It would be awesome!! :D
I have signed the petition to show support. What harm can it do. It is simply a goodwill measure. It has no legal standing. As far as previous issues. If they are in compliance now and going forward, then they should be allowed to do whatever local ordinances would allow them to do. A petition which shows simply people support you, will not change a legal decision. A petition, however, can influence 'elected' officials that people are watching and that they should not be giving preferential treatment to a few 'influential neighbors', if that was the case... and that happens all the time. The petition will just throw a spotlight on the situation to make sure everyone is doing what they need to be doing.
No matter what the outcome... I hope The Haunted Garden continues to operate whether in that location or another. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We only have one side of the story here. "The majority". The initial petition to shut it down was listed as '19 neighbors'. Does that mean 19 houses? 19 individuals? I'm assuming they'd have to be adults. And how large of a surrounding area are we talking? Assuming 2 adults per household, that's still 10 houses. 10 houses near me would be a significant percentage. "The Majority"? Maybe not, but a fair chunk.

Fact:
They were cited in 2011 for violating city code using business logos for advertising. (this becomes a business event, not a home haunt)
Cited again in 2012 for the same thing.
It should come as no shock that after those 2 warnings, using the company resources AGAIN and failing to file for the proper licenses in 2013 brought some stricter action.

source: http://www.gazette.net/article/20131016/NEWS/131019383/0/haunted-garden-rises-again-in-silver-spring&template=gazette
If true, that changes everything. I'm 100% in support of what the Haunted Garden is doing but only if the business side is left out of it. I'm not sure signing the petition by non-locals is helpful. I think it would be far more effective if locals hand-signed a petition to present to the judge.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Who's humanity? The haunters who don't care about the neighbors or the neighbors who don't care about the haunters.
In this case, both. People simply need to be more respectful of one another and attempt to work things out face-to-face from the start, which would end lots of foolishness that should not be happening in the first place. "I have a dream, of a world where haunters and non- can coexist peacefully, where drooling goblins walk hand-in-paw with fluffy rabbits, and where jack-o'-lanterns are not persecuted for the color of their skin...";)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Is the decorated home a home someone lives in, or a model home for the real estate company/ developer? Seems much more complicated than resident X down the street really likes Halloween so goes all out with decorations. Once you throw business ties in the equation, its complicated.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I work for a local government and part of my job is to attend all City Commission meetings. I can tell you from experience that elected officials don't give as much weight to the support of people who do not live in the community. The previous poster was right, what Raina needs is a petition signed by a large amount of locals.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
In this case, both. People simply need to be more respectful of one another and attempt to work things out face-to-face from the start, which would end lots of foolishness that should not be happening in the first place. "I have a dream, of a world where haunters and non- can coexist peacefully, where drooling goblins walk hand-in-paw with fluffy rabbits, and where jack-o'-lanterns are not persecuted for the color of their skin...";)
Yep, with a little respect, both can get what they want, although maybe not to the extreme they want it.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
For all of those essentially going "Rah rah rah, let's save the haunted garden!" allow me to quote one of Rania's posts on the matter in another thread:

Hey Blarghity! I agree with everything you said and that is, in fact, the direction I am trying to go. I always knew this day would come and I always expected it to get more popular and too big for the neighborhood. I am even starting to realize losing in court will be the best thing that ever happened to me because I want nothing more than to open a non-profit pro haunt that does a Halloween Arts and Theater Day Camp for kids and teens. It is something I have been working on for a while. I have federally trademarked a new name and am hoping to use this publicity to get that out there, noticed, funded and organized.
So give some consideration for Rania's wishes and future plans before jumping on that band wagon.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
I was wondering what happened to the hearing about next year. Now I know. I'm not a local in that I'm not in the neighborhood but in the same county & a registered voter so I will probably sign. There's already a couple of threads about this with more info on it.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/131266-help-save-haunted-garden.html

Here's their Facebook page, which also has Raina's "how to" on her mushrooms.
https://www.facebook.com/TheHauntedGarden

Some Washington Post stories on it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/montgomery-county-moves-to-shut-down-haunted-garden-at-silver-spring-residence/2013/10/08/c94711b6-2f90-11e3-bbed-a8a60c601153_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/haunted-garden-event-in-silver-spring-cleared-by-judge-for-a-two-night-run/2013/10/15/3b70a688-35dd-11e3-8a0e-4e2cf80831fc_story.html

From the local Gazette (part of the WaPo but more of a local county paper)
http://www.gazette.net/article/20131028/NEWS/131029331/0/gazette&template=gazette

And opinion piece from the Gazette
http://www.gazette.net/article/20131023/OPINION/131029860/0/gazette&template=gazette

I agree that someone from Iowa singing this petition wouldn't do any good. I'm also not sure how much good online petitions do for anything in general but ya nevah know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts