Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just curious, have any of your neighbors started decorating “big” after you started, or after you moved in? I’m sure some of you are lucky enough to live on the same block as other haunters, but I’m curious if anyone here has inspired another nearby to start their own excessive Halloween decorating? It hasn’t happened here. I’m just asking because I wish another home on the block would go all out and decorate big. It would be inspiring. The nearest house near here that decorates pretty big is about a mile away.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Define 'going big'.

There's been a marked increase over the last 7 years. I don't think it's coincidental at all that my carving party started 8 years ago. But, I had a haunt for many years before that as well that didn't quite elicit the same response as getting the neighborhood involved with the party seems to have.

No, no one 'goes big', as in cover a yard in a haunt, but they 'go small'. They actually decorate. Bats in trees, a couple props here or there, light projections, etc. Even the neighboring HOA has started turning a blind eye to decorations, and you might see a blow up or a couple props on a porch over there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are some older folks a few blocks away who do it up bigtime. I actually spoke to them a couple of years ago, during my first October in this neighborhood. They told me they used to be in charge of the big Halloween haunted house for their church, until the church decided to go for a softer 'harvest fest' event rather than going for the scares. So, they ended up with all the Halloween stuff. They have a small yard, and every square inch is decorated come October.

As far as getting immediate neighbors to decorate? Yeah, I've been hoping they'd get on board, but so far it hasn't happened. The old fella across the street from me is a Seventh Day Adventist or something, and doesn't do up any holiday big. There are a number of neighbors that go big for Christmas. I figure I don't want to be the lone Halloween loon, so I've started decorating for Christmas a bit, too. Nothing like what I do for Halloween, though.

·
The Haunting Girl
854 Posts
In my town we have a few people that "go big" to some degree. However, I live in an isolated section on the far end of town. I used to have neighbor two blocks over that had a big display, but they moved a few years ago. There's one a few more blocks over that seems to be doing something every year, but nothing too big. On my street no one really does much despite the fact that I've been there for seven years and had a big display for six (first year was Super Storm Sandy).

We've had some turn over in housing the past year and I'm hoping some people move in that like Halloween or at least have some kids. People in the main sections of town can get 100-300 ToTs and I struggle to even get 50-ish. People have figured out where I am, because they literally come just to see my house and don't even bother with my neighbors. The bad part is that I'm "so far away" that most kids probably don't think it's worth travelling just to see one house when there's a ton in their own section to visit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my town we have a few people that "go big" to some degree. However, I live in an isolated section on the far end of town. I used to have neighbor two blocks over that had a big display, but they moved a few years ago. There's one a few more blocks over that seems to be doing something every year, but nothing too big. On my street no one really does much despite the fact that I've been there for seven years and had a big display for six (first year was Super Storm Sandy).

We've had some turn over in housing the past year and I'm hoping some people move in that like Halloween or at least have some kids. People in the main sections of town can get 100-300 ToTs and I struggle to even get 50-ish. People have figured out where I am, because they literally come just to see my house and don't even bother with my neighbors. The bad part is that I'm "so far away" that most kids probably don't think it's worth travelling just to see one house when there's a ton in their own section to visit.
What about making your house a week of trick-or-treating spot? If they are not making the journey on THE night maybe make it a destination the week leading up to your place also and give out candy to the kids who come and see it? Do you have a neighborhood FB page? If so, it would be a great place to announce your haunted location, etc. We have a similar issue (but only by a block or so) the next neighborhood over gets about 1000 kids. Literally. We decorate and give out full size bars but were only getting about 20-25. I posted that to our neighborhood FB page and doubled the amount or ToT's we received from the year. before.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
While my few neighbors have enjoyed my decorating for YEARS I'm still the only one. Live in a mostly ruralish area only a few houses on my little dead end road and the only one that has street viewable property. There has been a slight up tick on Christmas lights however... I'm thinking it's because it's more normal and more "city" folk have moved in to the area and built on their little 3 acre plots.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nope, not at all. In fact, there are less people doing it now than there were the first year we were here. The vast majority of people who do it at all are just inflatables and store-bought stuff. We are the only ones that make our own props and certainly the only ones that add to the display every year.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey all. Just curious, have any of your neighbors started decorating “big” after you started, or after you moved in? I’m sure some of you are lucky enough to live on the same block as other haunters, but I’m curious if anyone here has inspired another nearby to start their own excessive Halloween decorating? It hasn’t happened here. I’m just asking because I wish another home on the block would go all out and decorate big. It would be inspiring. The nearest house near here that decorates pretty big is about a mile away.
The opposite effect happened in my neighborhood, every one dialed it down. They told me if I was doing it then they did not have to. Now they all bring their TOTs around with a beer wagon. The sad part is that less people come down my street now, since most of the neighbors are out with their kids.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... this is discouraging to read. :( I wish people would be inspired rather than get more lazy. That's crazy! Many people stop by to say they love the decorations, or alter their normal walking routine to pass by the house every day, but I wish some would get more into the spirit.

UnOrthodOx - That's great that you've had some success inspiring others!

One of the reason's I asked this was because I came across some videos about a neighborhood in Romeo, Michigan... Tillson St. Man I would love to live on a street like that. That street looks like what would happen if a dozen HFers decided to all move to the same block. Check out some of the videos I found. So cool!

Btw, I don't want to change the intent of this subject. Just wanted to share my dream neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh...my...God! I'm with you, Joker. Not trying to derail the primary topic, but man, what a great street that would be to live on!

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,987 Posts

One of the reason's I asked this was because I came across some videos about a neighborhood in Romeo, Michigan... Tillson St. Man I would love to live on a street like that. That street looks like what would happen if a dozen HFers decided to all move to the same block. Check out some of the videos I found. So cool!

Btw, I don't want to change the intent of this subject. Just wanted to share my dream neighborhood. :)

I live about 20 minutes from there! It's super awesome. There's actually houses here & there all thru Romeo that are done over the top. I make a point of going every year during the day so I can check out all the details. The local high school football team helps out during ToT, keeping an eye on things & helping with lost kids, etc because insane amounts of people go there.

I looked at a house that was for sale a couple years ago - most of the houses on Tillson are cool old Victorian style, but there's like no yards. Plus the house I looked at is called the "Clown House" and I talked to the guy selling it and he said the Clowns went with the house. Err - no. But the new owners embraced the clowns & added to them!

They don't mention Pleasant St, which is the next street to the north, which is usually about 1/2 decorated but still worth seeing, IMO.

back on topic - there are 3 or 4 houses over a couple streets from me that make an effort, but very little in my area. I'm right smack in the middle of a 3 block street, but we have no sidewalks or streetlights. I'm on the elementary school bus route, so I know kids can see the cemetery being set up. I have had cars drive up to my house, 5 or 6 kids pour out, get their goodies, then leave again. My daughter was amazed the first time she saw that happen. She watched them drive away and was like "they just came to see you!".

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
I haven't experienced anyone going 'big' per se, but as of last year I can safely say that we have noticed a significant increase in general decoration and participation.

We definitely see more jacks on porches, more decorations in windows, and even a few yard props / tombstones and lights. There is also one young man that has been coming to examine our layout every year since we started in this location, and he is now old enough that he's begun building his own little yard haunt up the street.

Any increase in recognition of the holiday is cause for celebration for me. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
We used to live near a street where they went all out for Halloween and Christmas. You had to in order to live there. You couldn't opt out because it was one of the provisions of the HOA. Other than that though, hardly anyone bothers these days. Nobody tries. Most people are lazy. It's really sad.

Actually, I found this video from 10 years ago of the street for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7AgpUW_l8

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are two houses within a few blocks of me who decorate but that's it. One is strictly inflatables and the other is done up with homemade stuff. Oh I guess there is one other house that is strictly lights and maybe some bats in the trees. Mine is the only one truly set up to give ToTs scares. I take pride in that fact! I used to live in a subdivision in Texas where everyone for about four blocks decorated. It was really cool. Halloween was this night when everyone would walk the blocks, look at the decorations, and just talk to their neighbors. Some people would just sit in a lawn chair at the end of their driveway handing out candy. All ages participated. I do miss that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since we have hoped from base to base for the last 20 years I never get to see if things eventually 'go big'. However, I notice the first year we are the only ones to really put out much for Halloween and then the next year we see more. Then we move and start over again:(. But since my husband just retired, we are now living in a hopefully more permanent home and can watch Halloween grow.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,089 Posts
Not necessarily as big as my yard display, but I've noticed that over 15 years I've inspired neighbors to decorate. (which is wonderful) The more the better in my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been trying for 4 years to get neighbors involved with no luck. So each year I try and make my haunt bigger. There are some around the neighborhood who decorate but kids usually have to be driven. My neighbors just suck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been decorating for Halloween for about 15 years getting bigger and hopefully better each year. I am the only house the decorates probably within a 10 block radius, I have people that come by year after year to see what new feature I have put out. I too live on a school bus route, and I see kids look out the windows as the bus drives by. I usually get less than 25 Tot’s each year, because I live toward the bottom of the street and no one at the top decorates.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes. I've been doing it for 10+years and in the last 3-4 years a lot more people have been decorating. It's really great to see it catching on!

I'm sort of central to the neighborhood so we get a lot of foot traffic. Our back yard neighbors are big into Christmas lights (like the music synced shows) and they've started doing Halloween too. Then the people across from them started to do more! Last year there was a great veil of fog from all of the foggers in our area (we always pray for no wind).

·
Registered
355 Posts
There are people on the blocks on either side of us that have significant Halloween decorations. They are also both huge Christmas decorators. Both were here before I arrived and both have commented how impressed they are with mine but they have not upped their game yet. A few other houses on these adjacent streets have started more decorations and even a couple of my neighbors have accepted that they are going to get more TOTs so they are getting more candy and putting out some decorations. The guy directly behind me has won the city Christmas decorating contest and seems pretty competitive so I keep trying to goad him into a Halloween battle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts