Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I’m new to Halloweenforum.com
I only resently started to do Halloween props. My first attempt was with the madame leota scene (you can take a look in my gallery) and I am currently working on a scary haunted tree. It is still a work in progress but the wanted to share it. I am a big fan of recycling and I am happy to say that this prop w is made out of recycled materials (well except the tape lol). I was fortunate to fined these amazing cardboard tubes for free! They are quite thick and sturdy. Hope you like it.

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,008 Posts
Looks VERY nifty - can't wait to see it finished. :)

I love working with found stuff and do most of my prop builds using stuff I got off the curb, in the "free" section on craigslist, or scavenged elsewhere. I really enjoy working with cardboard since it's sturdy and easy to mold into all sorts of interesting things, so this tree looks especially awesome to me.

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you want to recycle some cardboard boxes, you can cut them into strips, random and jagged, to create bark. Soak em in water, then glue em up and down to create good grooves and lines between strips. Even let them overlap a bit. The more random the better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bryan316!
That is a great idea! It will save me so much time in rolling the paper and it would definitely give me more textures. When you say to wet the cardboard and then glue it, do you mean while it is still wet? Sorry for the dumb question lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work!

Just curious - what did you use to build up around the eyes and mouth?
Sorry I totally forgot to take a pix of that step!
For the eyes I rolled up newspapers and just quept on gluing them on top of each other until I got the thickness I wanted.
For the mouth I crumbled up newspaper into balls that were approximately the same size. Then I glued them on to the tube. Once my circle was complete, I used rollsa of newspapers to outline the circle in order to give it a smoother side.
I hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Frankie’s girl!
Thank you so much, I am so happy to finally be here. I love re using things that other people see as trash and make it into art. As s matter of fact, I found these tubes on the “free” section of Craigslist. Once I found a whole bunch of gabinet doors and I used them to make bar chalkboard drawings for a rustic themed party. I’m the kind of person that if I can’t find what I’m looking for, I find a way to make it my self!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Bryan316!
That is a great idea! It will save me so much time in rolling the paper and it would definitely give me more textures. When you say to wet the cardboard and then glue it, do you mean while it is still wet? Sorry for the dumb question lol

No not while wet. Cut the strips, soak em in water, crumple em up and distress them, then lay them out to dry. Just flop em on the driveway. It will help to add texture to the carboard and get a barky look to them.

Plus, once wet, you can tear them up even more! I'd recommend you walk around the neighborhood and find your local trees. Take pics of the bark, and try to replicate their shape and look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts