Halloween Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Scotty, check out the Christmas forums. Since trains are more associated with that holiday, you'll find several outdoor trains at those sites. Most if not all are hand built; makes for lots of good reading and ideas too. I have an outdoor train that I'll probably (hope) to use again in 2014; set-up & maintenance is time-consuming. I've often thought about creating a shell that I could slip right over top of the Christmas decorated train and presto have a ghost train.

My Santa train runs through a village of buildings at the North Pole. The same concept would work well, as the Ghost train could run through a haunted village.

Good luck with a great idea!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Oh those graffiti cars are really cool looking. I don't suppose those can be used outside though.
Probably not, they're N scale. I don't think any of the smaller scales would stand up to the elements very well. I think O gauge or G scale would be the way to go. Many people do "garden railroads", and most use O or G scale, because they're more durable. Google "GARDEN RAILROAD" for some good ideas.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
So this thread has gotten my brain turning...a modular HO, or N-trak layout based on NBC's Halloween Town. Shoot, for that matter, do 2 modules Halloween Town, 2 Christmas Town, with the module joining them being the woods with the doors.

And of course, the first thing encountered in Halloween Town should be the scarecrow from the movie's opening.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I always tell me wife that I would love to add my Lionel trains to her Lemax Spooky Town village set-up, but she has so much stuff there isn't any room.

I have been collecting Lionel, Mike's Train House and Ready Made Trains Halloween themed railroad cars for some time now. Here is a short video of my Lionel General Halloween engine pulling a string of Ready Made Trains Halloween passenger cars around the lower level of my basement layout. The second train at the end of the video is made up of Lionel Halloween themed engine and cars.

I also have a couple of Halloween accessories around the layout - station platform, operating grim reaper gateman, operating billboard - that I don't have in the video.

Here is a picture of the Lionel Halloween General, with a few of the Ready Made Trains Halloween cars on the upper level behind it.
Halloween General to forum.JPG

·
Registered
814 Posts
What a GREAT thread!! I also had this idea recently!

I too am a massive model train fan.

My office

My house

I'm looking to G scale but its not going to be cheap. You've got battery and DC powered. DC is the way to go imo particularly because to get these trains in the Halloween spirit you will be adding weight in the form of props and lights.

But for a quality unit with a transformer, enough for at least 20 feet of track and a few cars you are looking at 600 dollars easy.

F

·
0 Posts
Those videos are awesome! Excellent setup! Is that an MTH 4-8-8-4 Bigboy? :)

I'm strictly LGB (G scale) and you're right about the prices, $600 is a very conservative number for a G scale setup. A few of my engines alone have cost that much. I have a ceiling layout too (pic attached).

Thanks for sharing.

ALL ABOARD! ;)

Sid

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Those videos are awesome! Excellent setup! Is that an MTH 4-8-8-4 Bigboy? :)
haha you got it!

I'm strictly LGB (G scale) and you're right about the prices, $600 is a very conservative number for a G scale setup. A few of my engines alone have cost that much. I have a ceiling layout too (pic attached).

Thanks for sharing.

ALL ABOARD! ;)
Great pic! Any advice on setting up outside for one night?

F

·
0 Posts
If you're setting up outside for one night you can pretty much do anything you want. Keep the controller dry and you'll be golden. Try to set the track up in a location that is as level as possible because slight variances can sometimes cause cars to come unhooked or derailments.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought that you meant small model trains at first. We do a double track and Lemax village around the Halloween tree. We set up 2 tables (doors with legs) side by side. This is the first year we did it and is a much smaller table. ON30 scale with a narrow guage track. We combined our two loves, his is trains and mine is Halloween! IMG_1841.jpg

F

·
0 Posts
LGB produced a PEANUTS Halloween car several years ago that would be perfect for a Halloween train but unfortunately it is one of LGB's "holy grail" items and they usually go for around $400. I've been looking for one for years. Until then I've included a picture we can all drool over...

Sid

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts