Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not what people are thinking, but has anyone done a model train in their display? I was just thinking of setting up a haunted town and then I moved on to a haunted display with a train. It could be something like an old west theme. I doubt I will have time to do it this year but its never to early to start planning for next year right??

I was thinking I might try to come up with something that could serve double duty, a western haunted train theme for Halloween and then change some things and now you have a Victorian Dickens theme for Christmas (The wife wants me to do more Christmas decorations - yuck)

Any thoughts? There is plenty of room in the yard and it might be a nice display for the younger kids.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I love the idea but, no, I haven't done one. The only model train we have is N scale and the buildings would be so tiny I'd go blind trying to work on it. I'd love to see one done on a larger scale though. And, don't tell anyone here, but I think the Christmas version would be fun too! ;)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've always wanted to do something like that. But the prices of proper Halloween trains are outrageous. Revamping a Victorian set might be more affordable AND more fun.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I love the idea but, no, I haven't done one. The only model train we have is N scale and the buildings would be so tiny I'd go blind trying to work on it. I'd love to see one done on a larger scale though. And, don't tell anyone here, but I think the Christmas version would be fun too! ;)
Ah! So that's why I ended up wearing glasses!

One of my lesser hobbies is building wood and glass coffee tables and end tables with N-scale railroads in them instead of storage space. :D

It is something to work on in small spaces in the depth of winter instead of trying to heat a workshop, plus I turn around and sell for about $3,000 something that cost me around 1/10th that to build.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Ah! So that's why I ended up wearing glasses!

One of my lesser hobbies is building wood and glass coffee tables and end tables with N-scale railroads in them instead of storage space. :D

It is something to work on in small spaces in the depth of winter instead of trying to heat a workshop, plus I turn around and sell for about $3,000 something that cost me around 1/10th that to build.
Awesome! I wish I had the patience and the dexterity (not to mention better eyesight) for a hobby like that! Back when we used to attend model train shows, those tables you mentioned are what we envisioned doing. Never happened, but I still love the idea though.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I have N scale trains (LOTS of N scale trains), and I have a few Z scale trains (even smaller). Definitely too small for a haunt. I think for a haunt, the train would have to be at least big enough to ride on, like the 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" gauge.

064 - Copy.jpg

A full-sized narrow gauge train like the old Denver Rio Grande & Western would be pretty cool for an old west haunt.

kirkfield14 - Copy.jpg

afc - Copy.jpg
I've always had an idea for a haunted mine that patrons would ride partway through in trams, then walk the remainder of the way.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't thinking in terms of people riding it. My train of thought (haha) started with the spooky town stuff, which then led me to hey it would be cool to have a small haunted town outside in my display. That then led to the idea of how about a haunted town with a train like you see in some places.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Haven't done it, but now you've got the wheels turning....maybe next year....

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
I wasn't thinking in terms of people riding it. My train of thought (haha) started with the spooky town stuff, which then led me to hey it would be cool to have a small haunted town outside in my display. That then led to the idea of how about a haunted town with a train like you see in some places.
So you're thinking HO? Hmm. Could do a modular layout with a Halloween theme...it would have to be off the ground. For a yard display I'd think no smaller than G.

F

·
0 Posts
Where do you find these trains? When I first read it I imagined they were tiny, tiny like the kind that runs around the Christmas tree.

I think its a cool idea!

Around here, Tweetsie Railroad does a haunted ride during October. I have never been but seen pictures and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know nothing about trains so I have no idea what HO or N gauge or any of that means. I was thinking of building a platform that I could set up and put the train and town on and then take down easily and then revamp for Christmas.

My train inspiration came from a display at a local mall

Like I said I was thinking of a spooky town display outside, then thought of the mall train display and thought it would be cool to combine the two. I don't even know where you would buy this kind of train at and I would be more interested in the actual town than the train, I just thought the train could make it a little more dynamic.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
For those of you curious about these enigmatic scales being mentioned...

http://windwardsea.us/Graphics/Z Scale/Z-G Scales.jpg

G scale (1:22.5) is "garden scale," the smallest of the dedicated outdoor railroad scales.

HO (1:87) is the most common scale in North America.

N (1:148 to 1:160) is the former smallest widely available scale, but lost that crown to Z scale (1:220) in the early 90's. There are smaller scales, but they are niche markets. T scale (1:450 or 1:480), for example, is primarily only available in Japan and is supported by a single manufacturer (the company that started T scale left the T scale market.

There are larger rideable miniature trains, for which wikipedia has an article, including a list of locations where you can go to ride a miniature train. However, those trains cost tens of thousands of dollars to get involved in, often require steamfitter skills to properly maintain, and are probably outside the scope of anything anyone wants to spend on a single prop for Halloween. However, their track systems could be quite useful for anyone planning to make a dark ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not done as much since I started doing a yard haunt but at one time I was heavily into Dept 56 and Lemax Halloween villages. I ran O scale (Lionel) trains through the one village, it was about a 6' x 14' display. Lionel has a line of Halloween products that they add to every year.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
N scale model railroading is my other hobby as well. I have never done a haunted scene yet though. I model an actual short line railroad located near where I live.

Here is a video of the layout, which is still under construction.

Eric

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
There are larger rideable miniature trains, for which wikipedia has an article, including a list of locations where you can go to ride a miniature train. However, those trains cost tens of thousands of dollars to get involved in, often require steamfitter skills to properly maintain, and are probably outside the scope of anything anyone wants to spend on a single prop for Halloween.
Yes, but we can dream :)

My fiancee lives in Michigan, and for several years I've heard that there was a 7 1/2" scale railroads near where she lives. Two years ago I went to visit her for my 50th birthday. The day before my birthday (Friday), I drove around trying to find the place, and I finally did. It was a small community, and when I parked to go to the community center, I saw railroad track running alongside the lake behind it. The following day (Saturday, and my birthday), my fiancee and I drove to the community center.

We went into the office and asked about the trains. The lady told us it's private property, not usually open to the public, except by invitation, but that it should be alright if we walked around and took some pics (her husband owns the railroad). I was expecting to maybe get some pictures of the tracks, and maybe a few train cars sitting on sidings.

It turns out that they were having their "spring open meet" (even though it was June 25th), when people who owned trains of this scale came from all over the country to run their trains on their tracks.

This railroad is situated on 120 acres of woods, marshlands, and 2 lakes. They have 6,5 miles of track, including 5 miles of mainline, over 1000 feet of trestles, 2 railyards, and 9 junctions.

012 - Copy.jpg

047 - Copy.jpg

019 - Copy.JPG

042 - Copy.jpg

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Nice layout, Wolfbeard.

I don't have a layout, I'm mostly a collector. I do occasionally run a few trains with a local club (3 Conrail locos, 3 NS locos, 4 CSX locos, and 2 Budd RDC cars, plus some rolling stock).

Micro Trains has done 3 Halloween themed tabletop train sets.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar, these trains are N scale (1:160).

The most recent is "Cemetery Central"

MTL-99321160-2.jpg

The set previous to that was the "Eerie Express" (with the tagline "Route of The Screamliners"). When run in order, the sides of the locomotive and cars create a continuous panoramic scene.

76152229754763.jpg

And their first set (as far as I know) was "Booville and Beyond"

1_be71773c88a0207943eab6fbcc3f6eea.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts