Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
How bloody creepy is that ..... your going to give a lot of parents real problems having to check their own kids toy boxes after their kids go trick or treating in your area , what a great idea , the whole evil toy thing will play on their minds long after they leave your haunt , great great prop .

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Daddy-O, super nice toy box! I love the toys inside and that creak is fabulous. Nice unexpected plus to your project and I was going to ask how you achieved it! Something must be rubbing a bit and it couldn't have turned out better.

I really appreciate the video and seeing how you achieved the rising lid. It's always interesting to hear about problems that people encounter building things like this and how they worked around it. Nice that you shared that with those here that might attempt something similar. I also don't think I would have thought of anchoring the toys to the lid. Watching it open and close you can't tell that's what you did. Nice! I'm sure you inspired someone today.

How do you plan on finishing it? Will you put lighting inside or keep it dark and just try to illuminate the doll faces somehow. If lit inside, you will probably notice the cam even painted black since it is a solid object. Wonder if some dim battery-operated lighting could be run under the lid and just light the area in front of the dolls face as it comes up? By the sounds of it you don't want to add any more weight to the lid.

If you decide you want to add audio, maybe a voice track of some distorted kid's voice saying "want to play?" or something like that in the background would be nice.

I really like this prop. Nice job!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How bloody creepy is that ..... your going to give a lot of parents real problems having to check their own kids toy boxes after their kids go trick or treating in your area , what a great idea , the whole evil toy thing will play on their minds long after they leave your haunt , great great prop .
Thanks, pacman! Glad to see Halloween getting a foot hold in England! I lived there for 4 years (98-02) and the only celebrating i saw was in the American military housing areas.

Thanks Gus. Yeah I saw something similar in a post by BIGANT on his coffin.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spooky, thanks for the kind words! As near as I can tell, the squeak is from the hinges. They didn't squeak at first, but I'm glad they turned out that way!

As far as finishing, I'm going to add rope handles age it somehow. I saw a technique that uses vinegar somewhere that I liked.

As for lighting, at first I thought a light from the inside would be cool looking, but the cam would definitely be noticeable, so I plan to use LED spots on the faces. Hopefully that will work.

Don't know about sound yet. I'm not sure I want any. I do have a creepy girl's voice I got from Hauntcast I might use if I decide to. On the fence about that, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Daddy-O
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing