Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I was going to start the haunted shovel build with a digging skeleton. I really like Matt Champney's movement on his skeleton:
In the video he mentioned sticking a rebar up the skeleton's "where the sun don't shine". I'm uncertain as to the purpose of this rebar. Any thoughts?
The rebar supports the skelly, it goes down to the base. Here's the one built a few years ago, I installed a 3/8" threaded rod in the left leg that attaches to the base which supports him without any visible rods. I also installed a rod in the spine to stiffen it and keep it from breaking.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,237 Posts
I think we all pretty much do this one the same, with just minor differences in the posing. I made a hollow mound of foam that looks like dirt and dug up bones to cover the motor on mine. The rebar he spoke of is what supports the skeleton upright. It should be thin enough to flex a little to get some rocking motion of the body.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what I came up with. The lateral movement is unintended, but I like it and won't bother correcting it. I did put a steel rod in his leg that connected to the base, but that wasn't enough, so had to further stabilize with the rebar. @J-Man advised putting a rod in his spine, but I'm hoping I'll get by without one.

I still want to assess if he should get a costume and I'll work on a lantern next. He'll go in my cemetery, but for now he happily greets all the Amazon delivery drivers ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts