Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tasked this year with building a playhouse for our soon to be 2 year old daughter. I have problems with keeping things simple and in result I now have stud walls up on a structure that will make a great storage shed when my daughter bores of it.

Anyhow, I am looking for ideas on what I can do with this play house for halloween.

Here are the dimensions.

8' X 8'
6 foot walls
vaulted ceiling
5 foot door on the front and 2 - 4 ' x 2' windows, one on each side.
ridge beam comes out another 8 feet to support a swing set area.

Here is the current progress:
IMG_0481 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any ideas on how I can theme it? Im thinking I would like to have some sort of animated prop that ToTs would be able to view either through the door or the side window as they walk by.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Sounds like it's begging for a haunted nursery / childs room...... child whispers,
baby crying, come play with me,.......... haunted rocking chair rocking by itself,
creepy dolls, dolls moving by themselves (remote control toy car with doll attached to it under doll like it's scurring around by itself)
babys crib that bounces around a little, (motor under one leg)........
guess it depends on how far scary you want to go

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Dolls can be very creepy, given the right dress and makeup, missing or extra limbs, heads, etc. How about a creepy dolly tea party? There's a place in Brewster, NY that incorporates a haunted playhouse, although it is smaller, maybe you will get some ideas:

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Oh My Gosh. Dude you are a Genius. I never would have thought of prepurposing a kids fort as a future shed. I don't have kids yet(I am still one myself, but that doesn't count), but when I do have kids I am using your idea. The forts and playhouses end up sitting there as rotting eyesores. This way I can use it as storage after they grow out of it and then covert it back for the grandkids. Right on man. Great idea!!! Good work. I like the idea of a doll house for Halloween though. Those things are creepy. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol thanks. Friend already told me he is going to sleep in it when his wife kicks him out. So I guess I got three options for it! ;)

Keep the ideas coming! The possessed doll theme sounds like a good one! We definitely have alot of those around here and might be a way to get my daughter more involved.

One other thought I had was to put up some sort of trick or treat scene. A couple small figures outside the door, then inside something creepy going to answer the door. Just dont know what!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
if you need any sound effects for a haunted nursery, i have a full cd that i put together as a master disc with dif effects.pm me your email if ya need any.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
The nursery idea does sound great but I have to be honest. The first thing I thought of when I saw the pic you posted was CRYPT with an FCG in it. Just a thought of course but the nursery idea sounds good too. Im also wondering.....would the possessed doll theme scare the lil one at home? Not that a crypt is not scary let alone an FCG especially when you are two but she doesnt play with FCG's after Halloween but she does play with dolls. Of course keep in mind I work in the guidance department of an elementary and middle school so of course I see things from a different perspective. Let us know what you decide:) I think the possibilities are endless and I love the idea that you are using that house for more than just one thing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Bubbels, you are the Best Dad! My Dad built me a playhouse that was like a houseboat when I was young. It was complete with ships wheel, life preserver and storm windows for the "rough seas" (in Chicago). My friends and I hung out in that playhouse for years. You may have a hard time getting it back to use for storage for a long time. But you'll provide her with many memories that will last the rest of her life. There is no love greater than that between a Dad and a daughter. My Dad's been gone for many years, but what he gave me when he built me that boathouse will last forever.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I am using my shed to house my caged werewolf this year. Here is a pic of what it looked like last year. I did not get time to finish making real walls in 08.

So I am going to set the door assembly inside the shed with the real door open all the way. It will look like the wolf assembly is the shed door. Our shed has a double door so I can still access behind the wolf. Maybe you can do something similar with one of your props. Just thought I'd throw out another suggestion.

However, I really, really like the idea of the doll room. It will make the most use of the space inside. But I also agree that you should proceed cautiously so you don't freak out your daughter. Especially if you use any of her dolls.

And BTW, what a wonderful gift you are giving your daughter. You will be her hero for a long time, like maybe forever. I totally agree with skulkin.:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys make some valid points! Last year nothing phased my daughter, but I think as she becomes more aware of things, some things do disturb her. I dont want to shelter her. I want her to be able to experience all things equally and make up her own mind. But anyhow, I do agree that I might want to be a bit careful on how I theme things.

Thanks for all the great comments! My father made me a tree fort when I was a kid and I got many years out of it as well. Its a great feeling to be on the other side of that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts