Halloween Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I remember this thread from last year, MsMeeple and was very impressed with what you guys did. Well I just acquired a 1960 vacuum tube organ (ElectroVoice 6200) that I'm planning on doing something similiar to. Just pulled it apart last night and removed all the electronics. Hmm, some of the vacuum tubes say "Made in the U.S.S.R.".

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
I remember this thread from last year, MsMeeple and was very impressed with what you guys did. Well I just acquired a 1960 vacuum tube organ (ElectroVoice 6200) that I'm planning on doing something similiar to. Just pulled it apart last night and removed all the electronics. Hmm, some of the vacuum tubes say "Made in the U.S.S.R.".
oooo some of those tubes probably sound amazing. don't throw them away!!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks xpendable.....now lets see some pics! :D

Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

MsM

·
Registered
393 Posts
Having some difficulty with the mechanics on my organ. I took pictures but didn't have a chance to pull them off the camera yet. I will try to do that tonight. Basically my organ is totally different. Beneath the keys is a solid metal shield with a very small hole under each key where a 1 inch metal pin sticks through for each key. There are little rubber boots on each of the pins. Before I removed all the electronics, this pin would push a wire into a metal bar completing the circuit and causing the key to "sound". I removed all of that junk so now there is just the metal shield and the pins sticking down from each key. I can't remove the metal shield because that is what all the keys are attached to. I built a PVC cam that goes underneath this shield and underneath the pins. This cam is very close to the pins... there's probably only about a 1cm gap between the pins and the pipe. Instead of using screws, which is not possible for this organ, I made a "track" for a key by cutting a ring of slightly larger PVC that fits snugly over the PVC cam pipe. Then I cut out a section of this ring to represent when the key should be "played". I can snap this ring onto the PVC pipe and then add a dab of glue to fix it in place. The missing section causes the pin to fall and be "played".

The problem is this: I'm having trouble getting the key to go back up again. The pin gets stuck on the other side of the ring. I sanded the other end of the ring to create a ramp to hopefully ease the key back up. But it still gets stuck and jams the whole thing. Tried with and without the rubber boot on the pin. Part of the problem is just plain old friction. I fear the only way it would work is if the ramps were made of metal, and I'm going to be SOL if that's the case. I've got to figure something out, I just haven't figured that something out just yet. Anyway, I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
What if you were to make the notches curved and not all the way through the sleeves. That way the pin would be riding on the same surface material vs. dropping from one material to another and having to try and jump back up to the outer sleeve material.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow X...was wondering how your build was going. Can't wait to see the pics.
Pod's idea sounds like a good one.

MsM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had to take the plunge

All these great builds. Not sure if I'll get mine done this year but I had to start anyway after seeing what all of you were doing. Besides running across a full brand new in the box yamaha keyboard for $20 on kijiji probably had something to do with.

View attachment 6577

Trick is finding the time with so little left.

View attachment 6578

Can't wait another problem to be solved....

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
There was someone who just posted in the last few days about the organ he built from scrap wood...including keys! Geesh, I'm so bad with names though. Anyway, might be worth searching for. He did a really good job starting from nothing.

And if you dont get around to it this year, there's always plenty of time in the off season to build a kick [email protected]@ organ to show us next year!

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
can i volunteer to be your organist, Meeps? sounds like a great job, get paid to sit there and do nothing, The organ does all the work!

oops! i mean grumble grumble grumble
Play with your own organ :D If you're lucky I might let you clean my pipes!

MsM

41 - 54 of 54 Posts