Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've been quite productive with our two weeks off!
Today we finished the mechanism that will move the keys on the organ.
We used a motor from an old printer. In the video its running at 12 volts but can handle as much as 24 volts if we want it to move faster. Lining up the screws so that they hit the correct key (and only one key) was the most time consuming part.

Later this afternoon we put the organ back together with the keyboard in place. We were happy that we remembered where everything went...and that it all still fit! lol And we were pleasantly surprised when the keyboard still worked once built back inside :) Putting it back together turned out to be much easier than taking it apart.

Its been raining all week, so we haven't been able to do any more with the pipes because they need to be painted outside. They are promising us a dry weekend, so hopefully the organ will be finished by sunday. Then we can move on to the organist!

MsM

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
now thats awsome MS MEEPLE , very cool animation , ok i will defenatly have to get out of the electronicly challenged category if i want my static props to be as cool as this one :) :)

tell your hubby he did an awsome job , i'll show my husband in the morning and bugg him again to start learning to animate stuff hehehehe ;)

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
looks great, the mech is very well done, the barrel and pin method is how early self playing pianos really worked :)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks great, the mech is very well done, the barrel and pin method is how early self playing pianos really worked :)
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw it turning. Hard lining up those pins to hit the right key...and ONLY that key. And then adjusting the length so they didn't push the key too far up or not far enough.

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now thats awsome MS MEEPLE , very cool animation , ok i will defenatly have to get out of the electronicly challenged category if i want my static props to be as cool as this one :) :)

tell your hubby he did an awsome job , i'll show my husband in the morning and bugg him again to start learning to animate stuff hehehehe ;)
After seeing your hearse and pipes for your organ, I think this is a project that you and your hubby can do. Its really just a pvc pipe with two stoppers on the end and a bar running thru the middle. You hook the end of the bar up to the motor and whaala.
Gutting the organ was harder than the mechanical part.
You wouldn't believe what's inside those old pump/reed organs! And the stench!

MsM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good job!

And boy can I sympathize with the stench problem. My organ was filled from top to bottom with damp nest material! And I probably don't need to say where the "damp" came from. In the end, since my organ was so beat up anyway, I just hosed out the inside and gutted it afterwards.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job!

And boy can I sympathize with the stench problem. My organ was filled from top to bottom with damp nest material! And I probably don't need to say where the "damp" came from. In the end, since my organ was so beat up anyway, I just hosed out the inside and gutted it afterwards.
Well you could have told me that BEFORE we gutted :)

So how did your organ turn out? do you have any pics?

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Planning to animate the foot pedals too? I'm sure you have nothing else to do and lots of extra time...
We actually thought about that lol Putting one of those tiny poseable skeletons on the ground by the pedals and having the pedals move as if the skeleton was pushing them.

Pieter started the frame for the organist.

I did have so much extra time (and a really rainy day) that I did something extra for you. Will send it via message.

MsM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of my organ that you requested. As you can see, it was REALLY trashed, and the hosing out of nest remains could not have made it any worse.

But that was okay as the weathered, beat up old organ went rather well with the beat up chair and old flannel shirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you have any pics of how you mounted the mechanism?

This would be a great idea for my organ.. (next year project) too many others on the go for now

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a couple pictures of my organ that you requested. As you can see, it was REALLY trashed, and the hosing out of nest remains could not have made it any worse.

But that was okay as the weathered, beat up old organ went rather well with the beat up chair and old flannel shirt.
The weathered looked was really cool! And has the added bonus that it doesnt stink :)

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have any pics of how you mounted the mechanism?

This would be a great idea for my organ.. (next year project) too many others on the go for now
Not sure if this answers your question or not but here goes:

First we measured the space under the keyboard where the mechanism is going to be placed. In this photo you can see that we used an electric screwdriver motor at first. But the speed was too high and we couldn't adjust it.

The mechanism is a piece of pvc pipe with two stoppers at the end with holes in them. A metal bar goes thru the middle. The pipe is then mounted on a holder that Pieter made from some scraps of wood. We then lined up the pipe with the back side of the keyboard to mark where the screws needed to be to push up the 'targeted' keys. Once again this is our first model with the screwdriver running it.

Pieter remembered that he had another motor that he had salvaged from an old printer at work. He replaced the screwdriver with this motor.

The metal rod didn't line up properly with shaft/axle from the printer motor.

So he bought this connector at the hobby/model shop. I have no idea what its called in English but its used when two shafts/axles don't line up in order to let them operate properly. It cost 10 euros. Most expensive part of the mechanism.

Then we screwed the mount with the pvc pipe and motor on it onto the panel under the keyboard. Making sure we measured where it need to be in order to hit the right keys. Then we put the keyboard back up and when the thing turns the screws push the keys up to the level of the other keys. We raised the keys that weren't being played by setting small washers under them.

Those are all the pics we have. If you still have questions, ask and I'll see if I can answer them.

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks really good! Where can i admire this piece of halloween-doe-het-zelf? :)
In Groningen! Shall I send you an invite?
Click on my banner and you can see how much fun we have at our parties :)
Doe je ook iets met Halloween?

Groetjes,
MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh you guys did a terrific job on that!!

Muf
Thanks muffster :)
Just wondering....that pic, is that you?
By the way, the neighbor started painting the alcove last weekend. Looking MUCH better :)

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very impressive work there, MsMeeple! The effect is very good. I love it!
Thanks! Now that the mechanism works, we just need to creep it up a bit and start on the organist. We've researched other haunters who have made a haunted organ or grim organist. Then its just a question of adjusting their plans to work with what you have.
We are going to try to make the organist work with servos. But if that fails, we have a backup plan using motors.

MsM

1 - 20 of 54 Posts