Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all in advance for reading this! Similar maybe to a insane asylum/hospital theme...but sorry I was not trying to "threadjack" by originally posting this on that thread...never intended to!

My hubby and I turn 50 in October and November so we are having a Haunted nursing home theme party! So far this is what I've come up with!

Food: Besides the normal passed appetizers.... I have a helper the night of the party to work the kitchen.
Dip bar (served in blenders) for the food area, Guacamole, spinach and onion dips
PVC privacy wall with hanging sheets for an exam area (to block off my kitchen)

Alcohol:
Urine cup specimen Jello shots -
Syringe "flu" Shots
Polident Punch - something blue with a few pair of floating "dentures" at the bottom...any good punch recipes? With Rum!

Bathroom:
Tub seat with skelly sitting on.
Antique bed pan prop - lots of pill bottles - lysol - emergency pull cord on wall - M-W-F pill sorter - Depend boxs Emergency pull cord near toliet also.

Garage: (dance/dj area) (Activities area)
Pub tables with board games on top for decoration purposes only
Oversized bingo sheets on floor or wall secured

I also purchased today at a yard sale for $10 a walker and a cane with suction cups for skellys for around the house. I have a recliner that will house a skelly knitting with an afgan and we are trying to figure out how to loop wheel of fortune on the laptop and make a makeshift tv for it with static.

My home office will be staged as an Admin area. Doctors lab coat hanging on coat hanger....

PVC orderly and Administrator

Ok....need more ideas! Come'on creative minds.....need some more help! ...
Trying to think of an invite idea....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Marigold, I know you weren't threadjacking. I wanted this idea to get its own thread before it became a threadjack. I didn't mean to accuse or make you feel bad. I REALLY love this idea.
Unfortunately, I am over 50 and forget the ideas I had this morning (just got home from work). I work in the nutrition department of a hospital (passing trays to patients).
Some of the patients are nursing home patients, and we have a rehabilitation hospital on one of our floors. Maybe I will ask.
Prunes. Depends. Those disposable bed pads on chairs. Non-skid socks. Adult bibs. Toilet rails. Gripper claws http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Helping-Long-Reach-Pick-Up-Gripper/dp/B0002VUQPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405822347&sr=8-1&keywords=gripper+claw

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
This is awesome!!

I'm having an activities room as well for my Asylum theme. I found some old board games too, to use as "centerpieces" on the tables. I have lots of puzzles to scatter and stack, and I found a big checker set this weekend at Dollar Tree. it's plastic so i'm going to put it on a piece of foam board. You could have those Big Lettered crossword puzzle books for prizes < the search and find ones> I have a knitting lady who will be setting in a rocker...but of course she will have a few needles sticking out of her....:rolleyes:

I have lots of pictures in my album for Asylum props.

Can't wait to follow along!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hit up the local goodwill today and found an old lady nightgown for one of my skellies....and at Kmart they had some small (like ziplock) bags for individual pills that you can write on....maybe put some little "blue" pills and mail them with the invites. (altoid mini wintergreen mints will do the trick) - renting a fountain for a house punch "fountain of youth elixir"

Now to think of clever invite. Every year it's know as the 20XX Halloween Spooktacula at the River Road Mortuary....think this year it will be 2014 Halloween Spooktacula at the River Road Retirement and Mortuary.

Any clever wording? Knods to turning 50? Still keeping it Halloween?

Also, looking for a pair of mens SM white boxer shorts and a white tank-style undershirt for under a robe....anyone have one I could buy?

Thank you all for your input and great feedback as well as ideas!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diajoh - love the idea of those disposable bed pads on chairs....have a set of gripper claws.

Hubby had 1 day surgery and took home a few extra "patient belongings bags"....maybe stuff them with paper and hang them...or use them for chips, etc..(they were new)..courtesy of the nurse!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How fun! My DH's birthday is in early November, but since he loves Halloween so much, we often surprise him with gifts or a little celebration early so that he can use his presents in our yard haunt. When he turns 50, a combination Halloween/Birthday party is a fantastic idea! :cool:

How about buying some of those little inflatable donut things that people sit on when they have TMI hemorrhoids? You could put them on all your chairs if they are inexpensive. Also, if you have a desk area in your home, a skeleton sitting there filling out a "Last Will & Testament" would be funny. If you like the 'over the hill' kind of jokes, you could have a display table with coffin choices, decorative urns & other funeral planning items. You could even display a few tombstone examples as though they were options to choose from.

Make sure all your skeletons have hearing aids & glasses, and maybe put some of those alarm necklaces on them in case they fall & can't get up. :D

I'm not sure about invitation wording, but I'd definitely try to work in the turning 50/dual celebration thing in there. Maybe some kind of slogan on the invitation like "River Road Retirement Home & Mortuary ~ First You're Over The Hill, Then You're Under Ours". LOL!

Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your ideas! I love the wording for the invite...and feel the invite is as much of an important part of the party as the rest of the props! It sets the tone!
I'll post a picture of it when It's done!

How fun! My DH's birthday is in early November, but since he loves Halloween so much, we often surprise him with gifts or a little celebration early so that he can use his presents in our yard haunt. When he turns 50, a combination Halloween/Birthday party is a fantastic idea! :cool:

How about buying some of those little inflatable donut things that people sit on when they have TMI hemorrhoids? You could put them on all your chairs if they are inexpensive. Also, if you have a desk area in your home, a skeleton sitting there filling out a "Last Will & Testament" would be funny. If you like the 'over the hill' kind of jokes, you could have a display table with coffin choices, decorative urns & other funeral planning items. You could even display a few tombstone examples as though they were options to choose from.

Make sure all your skeletons have hearing aids & glasses, and maybe put some of those alarm necklaces on them in case they fall & can't get up. :D

I'm not sure about invitation wording, but I'd definitely try to work in the turning 50/dual celebration thing in there. Maybe some kind of slogan on the invitation like "River Road Retirement Home & Mortuary ~ First You're Over The Hill, Then You're Under Ours". LOL!

Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dressing up as an old lady administrator...hubby as an old man caretaker...found these AWESOME masks made in Chicago....alittle pricey but sooo worth it.
Here is the beginning stage of my costume! Also found a mask for one of my props...hubby modeling it here! Perfect for my bingo guy!
IMG_20140915_123531073.jpg

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
14 Participants
marigolddesigns
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing