Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a haunted drive in theme this year on my driveway and one of the biggest props is a ticket booth. So my big question is, what kind of stuff should I put inside the ticket booth, props wise. I'm going to put pictures on the walls, but really need some more ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
cool idea! If it was me I'd put some empty old bottles from antique store in there(booze)...and a skeleton in old clothes too! also a rat or two, maybe an open rotting takeout container of food would add a neat touch!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Not super familiar with drive-ins. You'd probably want an old flashlight (you could maybe use that to illuminate any beasties inside) a roll of tickets, a hole punch for punching 'em. Maybe you could download a few coming-soon ads for movies off the web. The photos I'm looking at also have lots of signage - pricing, movie title and lots of rules... no reentry, no alcohol, no dogs, turn off your headlights etc. Maybe a help wanted sign? Probably a magazine or book for the person working there to read. If you're doing a 1950s Drive-in you could go retro, maybe an old monster-movie magazine. Some half eaten food from the concession. If you going for an older drive-in, you could probably mockup an old speaker like they used to hang on the cars back in the day. I'm sure those things broke all the time and likely sat around waiting to be replaced. Maybe some lost car keys?

Are you gonna play the "Let's all go to the lobby" short? That never gets old. I think I'd try to come up with a little backstory and base whatever props off of that, taking into consideration who was working and what a typical day for them would be like. It's gotta get kinda boring in those little booths.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not super familiar with drive-ins. You'd probably want an old flashlight (you could maybe use that to illuminate any beasties inside) a roll of tickets, a hole punch for punching 'em. Maybe you could download a few coming-soon ads for movies off the web. The photos I'm looking at also have lots of signage - pricing, movie title and lots of rules... no reentry, no alcohol, no dogs, turn off your headlights etc. Maybe a help wanted sign? Probably a magazine or book for the person working there to read. If you're doing a 1950s Drive-in you could go retro, maybe an old monster-movie magazine. Some half eaten food from the concession. If you going for an older drive-in, you could probably mockup an old speaker like they used to hang on the cars back in the day. I'm sure those things broke all the time and likely sat around waiting to be replaced. Maybe some lost car keys?

Are you gonna play the "Let's all go to the lobby" short? That never gets old. I think I'd try to come up with a little backstory and base whatever props off of that, taking into consideration who was working and what a typical day for them would be like. It's gotta get kinda boring in those little booths.
These are all so great. I really like the lost keys idea too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would definitely design/build a Marquee which will be the foundation for the drive in. Switch up a soda fountain machine with blood fountain machine serving the classics, A, B, AB and O. I would also build an old school movie theater popcorn bin (glass) and throw in lots of bugs and if you really want to bring it home get some live cockroaches Halloween night and add them. I would also add lots of advertisements based off wacky packages. Just keep in mind that the most important part of any display will be your lighting. I would research this forum for lighting threads and read up. Lighting will be your best friend if done right.

Marquee example
drive in.jpg

Popcorn bin example
popcorn.jpg

Advertisement example
ghoulhumor_small_smaller_images.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't forget to put some film reels in the mix some how. You could even have a skelly strangled with the film or hanging from the ceiling using the film as a noose.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oh...don't forget 3-D glasses. The kind with red and blue lenses. I know they are more in the 50's genre, but still a cool prop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
To maximize the image size and protect your projector, open the garage door and hang plastic white table cloth from top to bottom. The table cloth is opaque enough for rear projection and will not hotspot. Just connect using clear tape and you're all set. Set your projector from inside the garage as close to the back wall as possible and set the image to rear projection

http://www.partycity.com/product/white+plastic+table+cover.do?from=Search&navSet=plastic table cloth&bypass_redirect=1

The effect should be similar to this but without the glaring hotspot

Keep one side unattached for easy access back into the garage.

Also realize that its unlikely that you will be able to cover the whole garage wall unless you have a short throw projector so gussy up the sides with hanging skeletons or similar.

Victor

·
Registered
121 Posts
To maximize the image size and protect your projector, open the garage door and hang plastic white table cloth from top to bottom. The table cloth is opaque enough for rear projection and will not hotspot. Just connect using clear tape and you're all set. Set your projector from inside the garage as close to the back wall as possible and set the image to rear projection

http://www.partycity.com/product/white+plastic+table+cover.do?from=Search&navSet=plastic table cloth&bypass_redirect=1

The effect should be similar to this but without the glaring hotspot

Keep one side unattached for easy access back into the garage.

Also realize that its unlikely that you will be able to cover the whole garage wall unless you have a short throw projector so gussy up the sides with hanging skeletons or similar.

Victor
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! We do 'Drive Way Movie Night' from time to time and THIS is a great idea since we have neighborhood kids that are the kid that mess with EVERYTHING no matter WHAT and that has kept us from doing movie night for awhile...

I'm sure most of you have had that one house on the block with the 'kids' like this.... Let me put it to you like this, we put on the block party FOR the kids, but these kids make us wanna NOT put one on cause we know they will do all they can to ruin the night (Their parents just make it worse)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts