Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on a blog and decided to give it a go. I'm gonna do a full tutorial on my blog tomorrow...

My nanny died this past December and she loved mirrors. I happened to get this one of hers and I think she'd be pleased and totally creeped out with what I've done with her mirror:)

I cut the back off and used oven cleaner to clean an organic shape into the mirror.

I googled simple images using phrases like, 'civil war lady tintype' and 'Edwardian lady photo' and printed out the one I liked the most.

I put the image behind the transparent space I created and tada!

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The blog I got it from made it look so easy. It wasn't :( I had to use a razor blade while wearing dish gloves and I was using all the elbow, wrist and knuckle grease I had LOL. This was a practice run and though it was hard to scrape the back off (this mirror is from the 70's and seem like the back was teflon?) I liked the way it turned out and I saved my super cool mirror for the real elbow greasin'! Have fun, y'all! You'll love the way it turns out :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I did this a few weeks ago after seeing it on pinterest. I tried sanding, and a couple other methods that just didn't work. I almost gave up. Like kallie said, it took lots and lots of elbow grease and nothing was happening except I had a scraped up looking mirror, not spooky just stupid. Then I remembered this time I knocked over a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner and it stripped my flooring. I put toilet bowl cleaner ( it was thicker like a gel, not completely liquid) and took a paper towel and swirled onto the spots I wanted, I went heavier with it in the middle and lighter around the edges so it would sort of fade instead of one big open circle. I left it like this over night just sitting. The next day I washed it off and it just wiped clean , no elbow grease required.

Also, after all that I still wasn't completely thrilled, it was just to clear, in other words the face or picture peeking through was too clean and in your face. I took some martha stewart glass paint in black and lightly put it over the open spots where the pic would show through, it is transparent but has an aged look, like those old mirrors with the black spots. and the pic showing through is "foggy" and looks more see through if that makes any sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts