Halloween Forum banner

Haunted Mine Shaft Ideas?

6224 Views 26 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  borisbo12
Ok, starting to get that excited feeling...time to plan this years haunt. I have an idea for an elevator prop to make the tots feel like they are descending to the mine, but I'm not sure how to make a cave scene without spending big bucks. I would love to hear any ideas for props and effects for cave or mine haunts.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, if I only I could rig a way for head-lanterns to fizzle out by remote control!

I like the plastic idea. Price is right and it can be used year after year. I also considered buying big rolls of paper so that I could crinkle it up and paint it to look like rock. But the paper is pretty expensive for a one-time use.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose I could use chicken wire and paper machette to give it more of a solid feel and very realistic look for narrow tunnels and plastic/paper in the bigger caverns. I like the exposed timbers idea. I have some old 4x4 posts that I will run my car up onto break them, then put them in the ceiling for that about-to-cave-in look. Add some falling sand (brilliant!), creaky and rumbling sounds, dripping water, and swinging flickering lanterns.

Now, what about the actors? I usually have about 10 people. I figure 3 to manage the elevator scene, a couple of rescuers to lead the kids to safety at the end. That leaves 5 or so to be the theme actors. I know a cave is scary in it's own right, but I like to make it extra terrfying for tot teenagers.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some freinds of mine have a big flat cart with rusty iron wheels that would work. Would still need to build the sides. I haven't decided wether do do this outside, or use the basement. Either way, it's going to be a really big scene.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats great, I love that concept of a cave-in. Here's how I think I will set it up. The tots take the elevator "down" to the mine. Then will be guided through the creaking, sagging, tunnel to the end (cart on tracks) where the trick/treat action will occur. Then some sort of explosion (fuse is awesome). Then work their way back to the elevator, but it will be blocked by a cave in, so they will have to take a side tunnel escape route, with other scary stuff happening.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
All excellent ideas. Bottomless pit under a rickety bridge, like a rope bridge, is a must. The walls of the bat cave are pretty much what I'm going for, just a lot more of it and curved over the top. I'm not sure about chilling the tunnels because it's pretty cold already in Oregon on halloween. It would have to be really cold to be noticable. Maybe a fan at some point to make a draft tio indicate a way out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts