Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so for halloween I'd like to make a haunted maze cheaply in my friends front yard I live in the country where nobody goes trick or treating so she lives in the city in a sub division where her front yard is about 50x25 ft in between the trees is about the area im looking at I was thinking metal stakes with plastic trash bads and then do what ever inside thats no problem but i want it to be cheap but cool post any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two years ago, we made a maze on the cheap in our background. Just to make it easier on me, I pre-calculated the entire maze on grid paper with a 3' walking path. This gave me the total # of posts and length of plastic required.

I used 6' lengths of 1/2" pvc for the posts and held in the ground using 2' lengths of 1/2" rerod. This was a cost of about $1 per post. For the plastic sheeting, I used 4 mil black plastic sheeting from a wholesaler (4 mil is nice thick plastic, but 6 mil is what I'll use this year; wind will tear apart trashbags). This was 40' x 100' that I cut into 4 roughly 6-1/4' strips for 400' of 6-1/4' black plastic. The plastic was attached to the pvc posts using duct tape.

Trying to save money, I messed up by skipping posts on the straight paths - this put too much weight and stress on the end posts without any support in the middle.

This year I think I'll use 6 mil black plastic and add extra pvc to connect pieces across the tops of the posts for extra stability (to make it rock solid in case someone bumps into it).

The total cost wasn't much more than $150 for about 24' x 48' backyard.

PS - Our deck gave a pretty cool view of everybody running around in the maze.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about doing something very similar on a 3 car driveway in front of my house (20ftx30ft). I assume being on the driveway is going to require me to create a bottom rung on my walls. The question I had... wasn't the 1/2" PVC pipe awfully filmsy? I made a cooridor last year on my front walkway (about 20ft) and I used 1-1/2" pipe? That's what I was planning this year, but it really adds to the cost. Your thoughts/experience is much appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been wanting to do a hounted yard maze for years and my plan always involves tarps for my walls will cost a bit more but will definitly hold up

·
Registered
2 Posts
My maze was planned on a square grid with 3 feet for walkways. Putting a post at each point goes a long way to compensating for the flimsy 1/2" PVC.

If you plan on making it on a driveway (no mud in case of rain?), I would definitely add a top and bottom. It would be way too flimsy otherwise. Mine were impaled on re-rod that I pounded a foot into the ground, so the base of mine was solid. The top was mostly held by the plastic that was duct-taped to the poles. In hindsight, I wished I spent the extra money to connect the tops with 1/2" PVC. As it was, it held up for a month, rain and high wind.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've been doing a haunted maze for 10 years.
One thing that everyone learns over time is.... doing a maze on the cheap isn't possible. No matter what you do, it's going to cost in building materials. When planning out for it: make sure that it's sturdy enough to take a beating from the weather, as well as guests. High winds & heavy rains have been known to destroy things rather quickly. It also has to support any lighting, sound, & effects as well. You want to provide a safe & fun environment for people to enjoy. Hope my 2 cents helps.

By the way...
I use 4x8 & 6x6 panels made out of 1/2 in Osb plywood for walls. Entire maze is tarped to keep the fog in & also to keep it warmer, inside a Quanza shed. (37x82x25)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts