Halloween Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
minicooper, are you going to do a HM themed haunt this year? I love your caretaker especially. How does paper mache hold up over the years?

And how did you fill his body? Today I was wrestling with filling out my phantom (ala DLP Phantom Manor). I was using newspaper and the bags they are delivered in with blue painters tape. I used a small kitchen trash bag looped around the neck for his chest. Everything was falling apart as I was trying to dress him. Clearly I need stronger tape. His pants won't stay up, and he looks lumpy in all the wrong places. So now I'm thinking bags and newspapers is not the way to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I bought a long sleeve shirt and had someone wrap my body in duct tape. Then we cut it off my body and dressed the pose-able frame, then filled with packing foam and other misc things sort of like you did, but the duct tape "shirt" if you will, held everything together. This year I sidestepped the Haunted Mansion theme simply because I didn't have enough time. Remember, I started this in July of the year it was used! The mache face turned into stone, basically. It's hard as a rock. You could always spray over the top to protect from the elements. It's lasted perfectly in storage, nothing has deteriorated.

Last year and this year I went with a Charlie Brown theme from the TV special "It's the Great Pumpkin", I started another thread about this but here are a couple pictures for a sneak peak.

Great Pumpkin 1.jpg
Great Pumpkin 2.jpg

·
Registered
606 Posts
LOVE IT!!! Are those wood cut outs? I like how Linus and Sally are set back. Nice paint job! I grew up watching that every Halloween. My brother always kinda reminded me of Charlie Brown. I can't help but smile whenever I see his holey ghost costume. :D I'll look for your other thread.

Thanks for the tips on how to fill out a prop frame. I'll try the duct tape for my other phantom. Blue tape definitely is not cutting it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you for sharing! This is amazing. I wish we had the talent to do something like that. I was just at Disneyland and mansion is down to get its nightmare before Christmas overlay. Your post helped to illeaviate some of the anxiety from missing the ride!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hah! I'm glad you got your "fix" ;) Thanks for the kind words. Would love to do the hitchhiking ghosts eventually. I need to experiment more with mesh materials and figure out how to support a flexible and porous material while holding a specific shape.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Black and white siding. would love to have had more time to stain the surface like wooden slats but ran up against the deadline of Halloween! I literally set this up on Oct 31 last year right after the paint dried..

61 - 78 of 78 Posts