Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found a thread or two for mechanically recreating the hand shadow on the clock in Disney’s Haunted Mansion.

That said, has anyone seen or created a digital projection of this effect in After Effects or some other program?

I don’t know After Effects at all, but it seems it would be fairly easy to accomplish.

For those unfamiliar, here is a picture of the effect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The haunted mansion is my favorite attraction at disneyland. We grew up in SO. CAL. and went there many times over the years. This effect is fairly new and another nice touch to the atmosphere of the ride. I would like to know how it's done also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi-nY8iPPM

It strikes me if the artist had put two hands on opposite side of the motor, it would balance better, they wouldn't have gotten the drop as the armature went over the center point of the weight being perpendicular to the motor center, and they wouldn't have to wait so long for the shadow.

Also, see the importance of LIGHTING? A decent shadow requires a single source for sharp edges....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original is all done mechanically. It’s a pretty easy effect. See the image below.

I’m interested in a digital decoration for a projector of the same effect to avoid having the mechanics… just a pico projector with a video file of the effect.

I know, I know. What’s the fun in that?! This will be for a miniature in which a digital projection will work better.

·
Sleep with one eye open
Ghosts in Old Dark Houses
597 Posts
This will be for a miniature in which a digital projection will work better.
Hi ,
You have the elements in the scene ( clock , wallpaper etc..) and you need animation of the hand shadow in a spotlight ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, just the lighting and hand shadow… but as a digital decoration video, not a mechanical effect.
That would be very easy to do in After Effects, or similar program, for someone that knew how to use it (that someone sadly aint me) .
You could even get that person to check pg 21 of the printable activity sheets on the Disney Parks blog for a guide as what the rotating hands should look like.

·
Sleep with one eye open
Ghosts in Old Dark Houses
597 Posts
Yes, that’s EXACTLY what I’m looking for! Thanks so much!
Just logged in to post my After Effects shadow for you but I see SamhainPropWorks beat me to the punch with his excellent version with the feathered spotlight .
Could you post video of your pico projection set up for your miniature ? I couldn’t get a small enough , in focus image with my projector ( its not a pico projector so that might be my problem ).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts