Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love doing Haunted Houses but almost all of them use strobe lights. I'm not epileptic but they do make me feel very sick. A couple years ago I got very excited to go to a collection of Haunted Houses in Toronto only to realize in the second house they had a strobe light and I almost passed out. There were no warnings, which is unusual, and the staff was completely useless! They wouldn't help me through the house or let me pass through quickly as other Haunted Houses usually do, and after I recovered I tried to ask staff which houses had strobe lights and they would not help me because they all had strict character acting directions not to speak. In the end I left without risking another haunted house because I felt so sick and it was so disappointing.

Are strobe lights so necessary that every haunted or horror attraction has to use them? I can never seem to find any that don't. If there's any other light sensitive members, what do you guys usually do for Halloween attractions and events?

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,102 Posts
Even way back when when I worked at the local haunted house, we would always put out a sign "strobes in use". It's just common sense & good policy.

That's horrible how that haunted house acted; (ino) there should always be staff available to assist when there's an emergency or other issue with guests.

I don't know if where you live there's a local list of haunted houses that gives a contact phone number, but if they do, maybe you could talk to someone there about if they use strobes and if they have an option having guests go through with them turned off.

Hope you're able to find one that does!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree and I am really shocked that (1) the haunted house didn't mention the use of strobes and (2) the staff wasn't accommodating when you had issues during your walkthough!!! Any public attraction that uses strobes in my city does have a warning. I would think that could be a big liability issue if it wasn't posted! That being said, I wouldn't necessarily expect a home haunter to post that strobes are in use.

I'm not epileptic either, but am very bothered by strobe lights due to a vestibular dysfunction. They make me nauseous and off-balance. Unfortunately, I try to avoid places that use them and don't use them at my home. If I am in a situation with a strobe, I have to close my eyes and hold on to someone in my group during that "scene".

As far as their use for Halloween events, I think they do give make the atmosphere "creepy", but have very low light (or no light) is just as creepy IMO.

So sorry that happened to you and made you ill. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts