Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,095 Posts
IMO you're ready for ToTers now! Wow I'm so happy I saw your thread and clicked on it. Great way to start my morning.

I too am curious how large the structure is. Is it a garage? Man, terrific job on use of space. You have a lot of nice props and effects. I liked your use of the Talking Thru Boris head in conjuction with the other prop. I never would have thought of that. Liked your grave yard scene with the Scaretaker. That cat which I think I've seen but not in action was great. Loved it. I especially loved the organ room. Really nice job there. What are you using to run the music? Is it a player piano of sorts or controlled through other software.

Curious, having seen all of this, what else do you have on your list to do? Whatever you do, take some high quality video of the place before you open so you have it to keep and enjoy for a long time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
VERY, VERY NICE! If I had the cash that is exactly what I wanted to pull of this year! CONGRATS! I can't wait to see it on the big night!!!

I have so many questions I'd love to ask but I'll keep it short.

Like another asked, what size is that building?

Will you be using actors in the haunt?

Are you controlling the props with sensors or from a control room?

And if you are using a control room I would imagine you will have some footage of this year's victims, right?

Nice job!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Great job. I wish I had a building like that. Oh, the things I could do...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Awesome job!! I was wondering if you were planning on decorating the outside of the building at all? I also liked the clock great job!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was shaking in my seat! Terrifyingly awesome detail. and so many motion activated things. very cool indeed.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Everyone and Thanks for all the positive comments...It sure is nice to share this stuff with "like minded" individuals who can appreciate it ;)...First I'll answer the main question about the building....The dimensions are 14 foot wide by 32 foot long....It was built by a shed company and delivered on a big trailer....They had over head doors as an option but I just wanted regular man doors...The biggest one they made was 14 feet by 40 feet long but I didn't think it would fit at the time....Now I know it would have and REALLY would have loved the extra 8 feet...I painted the inside walls and ceiling black before starting anything and think it made a huge difference in perception of size...

Pumpkin Torture Guy...I think this year, the haunt will be the size of the building (14X32)...It may be the same size next year as well as I improve what is there....

Ghost of Spookie....Thanks...The cat was out a few years ago and played a couple different routines....I wanted it to do one thing over and over just like everything else....So I hacked it by hooking a DC power supply directly to the motor inside the cat and hooked it up to a PicaBoo 105...Channel 1 runs the Scaretaker, Coffin with guy trying to get out....Channel 2 runs the cat when the cat screech sounds....I like this because it runs everything for about a minute with sound and then shuts off so it's not constantly running....The organ is controlled by a Gilderfluke Minibrick 8 and runs on it's own in a loop....It goes to a 6 port MAC air valve system which powers 8 small Bimba air cylinders which pushes down on the keys....The organ was converted to an electric blower at some point so I was able to utilize the actual air blowing through the reeds to get the organ sound playing for real....It really gives it a MUCH better authentic feel having it actually play plus the air moving through it gives off an "old" antique aroma smell in that area....You can smell it when you come around the corner...I really love how that prop came out!....Here's some pics to show the mechanics....

Some of the smallest air cylinders I have ever seen!

$25 off craigslist

and after the paint job

theworstwitch....I DO spend alot of time in there:) I can have everything turned on and running in about 5 minutes so it makes a nice instant show and tell when people visit....Or if I need a fix!....

ezekiel...Thank You....Yes, I would reccommend a dedicated building to anyone who can do it....It gives you a ceiling to mount stuff to, gets everything out of storage tubs so you can see what you actually have, somewhere to work on it year round so you can test, see what works and don't...I could go on and on but those things come to mind first.....I won't have any actors for the fact it's just too small....I'm really going for the old dark ride feel that I grew up with and enjoyed so much....If only I could figure out a way to get a track and some cars to fit in there :D.....The main controllers I'm using are 5-PicaBoo 105 boxes from fright ideas with the motion sensors....I love how easily they are to program and the built in sound is very convenient....I can literally turn the whole place on with 8 rocker panel switches.....My sister and I are talking about rigging up her web cam at the organ....It's hard to tell in the video but when the scream and strobe go off, there is also an airline overhead that shoots about 80 pounds of air pressure down from the ceiling....We think it would be cool to get guests reactions....The coffin that tilts from the wall seems to scare people too so may mount something there.....

Glass "eye" - Yes, I would love to do another facade of a Victorian tower where you walk in the door.....I had one last year with the Mummy that is in the graveyard entrance and had an "Enter if you Dare" banner as you walked in.....Unfortunately I had some rough times and burned the facade from last year because I thought I was getting out of Halloween but I'm really glad I perserveered....I hope to have another one built for this year.....

I still have many ideas using the wiper motors to have LOT's of stuff moving along with the "scares"....It really throws people off when things are going on that draws their attention away from "the scare"...Get's em everytime!....Thanks again....ZR

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Awesome, I hope that one day I get me a big building that I can work on my haunt throughout the year, that is the dream. Did you put sprinklers in the building to make the fire marshall happy? Around here you cant do any type of roof without sprinklers.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
That is incredible. Zombie, my man, you have taken it to another level entirely.
Q1- When did you first set this up?
Q2- This is a year-round set-up, correct?
Q3- The Haunt is open for a few nights, isn't it?
Q4- How many visitors do you get?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome, I hope that one day I get me a big building that I can work on my haunt throughout the year, that is the dream. Did you put sprinklers in the building to make the fire marshall happy? Around here you cant do any type of roof without sprinklers.
Hello....No, I don't have a sprinkler system....I have a small annual party for friends and family so there really isn't a need....I do have the same general rules like absolutely no smoking or open flame inside any structure and there are 2 exits and I keep a fire extinguisher nearby....We have a small bonfire out in the graveled driveway with picnic tables around it with a trailer decorated with the food....Everyone dresses up and it's just a fun night.....Last year was my first party....ZR

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is incredible. Zombie, my man, you have taken it to another level entirely.
Q1- When did you first set this up?
Q2- This is a year-round set-up, correct?
Q3- The Haunt is open for a few nights, isn't it?
Q4- How many visitors do you get?
Thanks Wolfman....It's definately a passion......
Q1- I started setting it up in June for this year....Last year it was all open with no walls....This year will be the first "walkthrough" haunt....
Q2- Yes, It will be set up year round from now on....It is just too much work to set up over and over plus I don't have "THAT" much time.....It will better allow me to tweek what I like and change out what I don't....
Q3- No, Just one night for a party....We live in the country and don't have any tots...Yet....I did this years ago and was up to about 100 tots in 1 night which was pretty good for where we live....Last year we had many people drive by and honk thier horns....I think it will grow as years go by but hopefully not too much.....
Q4- There was probably about 30 people last year (My first year)....I honestly don't want this to get "too big"....I enjoy the friends and family atmosphere and everyone knows this is my thing....We dress up, sit by the campfire, eat food,roast marshmellows,drink hot chocolate,play Nintendo Wii on a big screen,etc.....It's a fun time....ZR

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
When I do eventually get mine I will have to do sprinklers, I want it to be open to the general public. I want a building big enough to do a large haunt, plus a roll up door so I can pull my hearse in and out of the graveyard. You sir have made amazing use of your space though and the decor is great, so much better than my black visquene walls I am stuck with for now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts