Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting this thread hoping it could be an ongoing repository with links for haunted hotel, motel, inn, or bed/dead & breakfast decorating theme for Halloween. Not just for a party, but for overall home decor or display, crafts or prop ideas as well. Last year I was researching this theme and there some great threads but they were all over the place. It would be nice to have a one stop reference.

So if you have thrown a party or decorated in this theme, PLEASE link your thread here. Please post any and all things you think are good contributions to building these themes. Also links to your haunted inn pinterest boards would be helpful as well.

I’m going to go round up some threads that I found while researching this theme and put the links in here. (If you don’t see your thread, please don’t be insulted, you know how hit or miss doing a search can be. Go ahead and link your thread, it would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
We did an outdoor Haunted Hotel haunt last year, not a party. Most of it was set up in our entry courtyard and covered porch area. I posted along with others at the time on the Haunted Hotel party thread lead by FrogKid mentioned above. It was a fun theme.

My favorite 3 things we included in our haunt that I'm happy to recommend would be:

1) fellow haunter, DMinor's "Rona Marie Ghost Maid" projection. I think he charges $10 for the download. Worked great as a projection of a maid going about her maidly duties in our hotel's upper bedroom window visible from the street. In fact we had a neighbor pay us a compliment just last weekend when he brought it up to us. Always nice to see what people remember from your haunt.

2) Cracker Barrel Restaurant last year sold a Haunted Vacuum prop at halloween time, a take off on the moving witch's broom. Looks like an upright vacuum with vacuum bag and rotating eyeball at the base. Possibly Cracker Barrel will sell this item again (I live in Calif where none of the restaurants are located but found they were selling it on their website's store and they shipped to me for a reasonable price) but if you don't want to take a chance, I would highly recommend jumping on Ebay right now and doing a search for "halloween vacuum". There is a seller from Kentucky selling this, he has 9 left, and at a very reasonable price of $17 each. His shipping is only $8, so on both product and shipping you aren't being gouged. This is a really nice looking prop and was a hit at our hotel.

3) I also did a haunted feather duster for our hotel. FrogKid has nice photos of the one she did on the party thread from last year.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,117 Posts
Ok, this is a great thread idea in general, but this theme is also currently the leading candidate for us this year, so I'm doubly interested. ;)

I don't have much to contribute that hasn't already been posted, but I'm definitely subscribed.

Thanks for getting it off the ground, Hilda!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The Ravens Grin Inn was a haunted bed & No breakfast. Hard to serve breakfast when they couldn't make it through til morning.
I found it's true:"Opposites Do attract", which means in a couple's relationship, one loved being here the other one was terrified! (And the scared one was not always the woman, by any means!)
Of those who did make it through a night here, as I remember it only one couple had anything really strange happen to them, and it actually happened the next morning.
"She" left the bedroom to seek "Coffee" a block away, around the corner. "He" stayed behind, in bed tuning in on a Bulls game on the portable Tv they brought with them.
He had a cellophane tray of store cookies he was munching upon. He would carefully lay them back down on the floor after each helping. He was alone in the room the whole time. When he reached down to get more cookies, he found squashed crumbs, it seemed as if someone had stepped right on the entire package!?
The odd and supernatural things that have happened here are usually not aggressive in the least. Getting cookies crunched would not really be too mean, but there have been some things that happened here that seemed to be slightly picking on some people who are ethnic minorities in this country. They were a "mixed" couple in that respect....
One time a Chinese-American woman had her expensive hair-do flipped right up over her head, flopping down covering her face! Her Date was walking behind her, he got the blame and her curses, but I was walking right behind him and he never even lifted his arms or moved his hands to make any such thing happen. There were no sudden air currents at work or any devices of any kind.
There was maybe a total of a dozen people right there but we were walking single file through the concrete exit tunnel so the date and I were the only ones that could have seen how this happened or could have possibly made it happen, and we had not done it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You better believe they pre-paid! I would also then give them a house tour, ending with them being shown their bedroom.
"Well, we are going up the street to have a few beers, see you later." Never see them again!
I was told by a man who did some house-sitting 50 miles from here that later when that house became a B&B that people would be found in the morning sleeping (or trying to) in their own cars because odd, scary stuff was happening in the room. You are tired, you drove 3 plus hours over some challenging, twisty, hilly roads to the B&B, get spooked-out.. are you able to drive another 3 hours to get back into your own bed at 5AM? Sleep in the car, make the best of it...

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
One night a broken truck had two people at my door seeking a place to spend their night. The next morning after they had left I went to inspect and clean the room and discovered that they had left me "something".
There, on the headboard of the bed were two nice leather straps tied there! (It gets better!)
Maybe a year later as I was leading a tour through that bedroom I told them about the straps still tied to the bed. This group began laughing because the people who had left me the straps were their friends and they had told these people all about it! (Braggards! )
HAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
One night the two over-nighters happened to include one Husband who was a Very Conservative person, he might have worked for some major US company, "Mr. Serious!" (How did she get him HERE?)
After taking them through for the tour, other victims appeared at the front door for a tour. I offered the house guests the opportunity to possibly help scare the others.
I set up "Mr. Serious" seated on a chair at exit-end of a tunnel where customers would ride on rollers to suddenly come out into a strange semi-dark room. I draped a black cape around him so none of his body was visible then had a Pumpkin headed mask for him to wear. The only other thing people would see besides him was a Jack-o-lantern on the floor to add some light to the room.
I instructed him to simply remain seated and quiet until they had just about stood fully upright, then to quickly point and say something like "This way!"
The rollers would make their specific sound, he knew when they were coming toward him. He followed my simple instructions to the letter with good results.
After the group had passed by him and were away from the area I turned on the lights in the room where "Mr. Serious" had been scaring , he slowly removed the mask-head and almost seriously remarked:"I.. think... I .. could get to LIKE THIS!"
He might have worked for IBM?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Same Roller-Tunnel. My Employee was sitting at the exit-end wearing a Gorilla costume, and he is a big guy to flesh it out too!
A number of people had come through and were standing around waiting for the rest as I walked into the room, I turned on the house lights , the last man to come through the tunnel was comfortably, calmly seated next to the exit and he had no idea that he was actually sitting on "The Gorilla's" Lap Now with the lights on, he slowly turned and the "Gorilla" Growled! He jumped up as quickly as humanly possible, flew across the room!
Everyone was laughing! His Wife, his Step-Daughter and he was laughing too!
Suddenly he stopped laughing, everyone noticed this, his face got a serious expression as he reached around behind himself and asked the room:"Are Farts LUMPY?"
Every time his Step-Daughter has driven the 65 miles to see Ravens Grin again she greets my smiling face at the ticket hatch with his words from that night.. "Are Farts Lumpy?"
And We Laugh Again.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A very well-known Haunter (who shall remain unnamed) called me asking if I was open. The very first thing he said was his own name and I asked him if he was who he said he was and he was surprised that I knew who he was,since almost nobody in the haunting business had yet to discover me or my house.(All Pre-Computer)
Then he asked me if I used Chainsaws here, because his Wife would not be coming in if she heard or smelled a chainsaw.
No Chainsaws here.
As they were going through Ravens Grin he was so busy eye-balling every detail in every room that I don't think he was freed up enough to really enjoy himself here....
We arrive at the entrance of the roller tunnel. I explain how it works. I push against the soles of their shoes as they kneal on the cart and way they go into the confining darkness!
As "The Wife" was about to receive by helping slight push, I said in a quieter tone to her,"Don't worry, this will take you passed the chainsaws so quickly you won't even notice them."
Then I pushed, she went.
I glanced at her Husband, his face was attempting to contain itself as it was quickly growing wider as he was holding himself back from roaring right out loud with laughter!
He Was Finally Enjoying the Tour!
There were no chainsaws in the tunnel but at that time I did have some very thick plexiglass making up some tunnel walls and on the other side of the plexiglass was an old 10,000 volt oil burner transformer that could make some scary sparks and Zap! sounds.
After they were outside of the house, tour completed, I apologized for having such a crappy, small-town stupid Haunt to show him (and maybe I just wasted his time by coming here?)
" I just made things, built things that I thought might be fun or interesting to other people, I'm sorry."
"NO JIM! You have a very good Haunt! much better than many of the ones who have a lot of money to spend! You have a great place!"
I was now in Shock......I knew that "Time" would tell if he was a percentage right with his compliments or possibly not even close to being right in his complimentary mood?
A few years later I stopped at our local Library to look at a computer. I asked for some help to get started, I entered my own name in a search engine.
There it was!? People I had never heard of (Haunters) were talking about ME!?
Someone had posed the question:"Is there another way to instill real fear in haunt customers by doing something else besides using a chainsaw?"
The answer on that screen said ,"YES! A guy in Mount Carroll, Illinois knows how to scare people without a chainsaw!"
("Who ARE These People?")
It felt weird.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ghost of Spookie... my vacuum cleaner came today! That thing is a riot!! Although both my sons don't like it too much. LOL I will save it for guests. It is really funny. ...but WHAT is it saying?! I adore the laughter, but I can't make out the words. Do you know?!

Thank you for the recommendation on the ebay seller. I am pleased to have one now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts