Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The great styrofoam build of 2009 continues...

For the past two years, I have turned our two car garage into a witches apothecary with storefront and tower. I originally built everything out of 7/16" sheathing. The sheathing is great because it's solid and strong. Unfortunately, it's also heavy!!

This year, I'm building a whole slew of new facades and I'm replacing the old, ugly, plain sheathing roof with a new, extremely detailed styrofoam roof.

The original tower stands 16 ft tall, with an additional four foot tall roof in a simple mansard style.

Above: Testing the foggers a few days before Halloween 2008.

My plan for this year is to build an all new roof (again in the mansard style) and add more detail and texture to the existing wall units. Better window frames, more detailed paint job, etc.

I apologize for not taking pictures of the wood frame as I built it, but it only took me one afternoon and I couldn't find the camera at the time -- later found out my wife had it with her at the park.

So, this is what I have accomplished so far.

Above: This is the new roof with the first layer of styrofoam skin glued on. All of the primary layer styrofoam is 3/4" thick. The new roof is just over four feet wide, two feet deep, and 5 feet tall.
My plan is to cut more finished pieces of roofing above each dormer window, so please excuse the current, unfinished look.

Above: Here is the roof with the interior painted in chocolate brown paint. (I swear, it's the color of chocolate. Every time I open up the five gallon drum of paint I feel like Willy Wonka!)

Above: The next thing I did was cut out a template shingle from a scrap piece of MDF. From that template, I was able to trace and cut many, many shingles from 1/2" styrofoam.

Above: Many, many shingles.

Above: Here my oldest daughter is holding rows of shingles against the base styrofoam of the roof. My plan is to paint the shingles (similar to the way I painted the Cider Hut shingles) and then layer them like real shingles.

My thought here was that this roof will be 16 feet above the ground. I worried that, at night, people wouldn't be able to see a shingle paint job (again, like the Cider Hut) and that my efforts would be lost. But, maw-ha-ha-ha, if I actually cut out shingles, then the roof would have texture and depth and look absolutely amazing on Halloween night when the lights hit it and cast great shadows.

So, that's what I've been able to do this past week while attempting to juggle work and a house full of girls who are in a constant cycle of either wanting to spend time with the newborn, or get away from the newborn.

Cheers,

·
Registered
491 Posts
WOW! If it turns out anything like the Cider Shack / Hut it will be amazing! Looking forward to the finished product. Keep up the good, um, GREAT work.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Tk, you work never ceases to amaze me. I love seeing that you are always working on halloween projects. I'm sure it is going to look awesome just like all your other stuff.

·
Registered
450 Posts
soooo cool. Great job.

-Doc

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea! I just have to know how you will cut them at the corners?
That's a great question. I went searching online last week and found this picture:

I like this idea of applying a ridge cap to each edge. I think what I'll do is secure a 1x3 to each corner. It will give the edge a clean look, and the wood trim will give some added strength to the corners.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great. Can't wait to see updates.
God lord, you're insatiable!!! I just posted less than three hours ago!

It's dark outside . . .

I have to get up early tomorrow to help a friend with a garage sale . . .

I already put everything away in the garage . . .

I'm tired . . .

Alright, I'll go paint some shingles.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
God lord, you're insatiable!!! I just posted less than three hours ago!

It's dark outside . . .

I have to get up early tomorrow to help a friend with a garage sale . . .

I already put everything away in the garage . . .

I'm tired . . .

Alright, I'll go paint some shingles.
HA! I knew it. You are the one that can't stop! :) I have lost my way prop building wise, so I need to live vicariously through someone. Everyone else seems to be going through the mid summer doldrums. :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Simply amazing! :OD

The Grimsley's impressed beyond all recognition!

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My secret to fast prop building?

Child labor!!! Maw-ha-ha-ha

Let them work for their dinner!

Above: Had my two older girls help paint the shingles this afternoon.

Above: All in all, I think they did a pretty good job. Although my five year old was covered in blue paint after "helping".

Above: To protect the edges of the roof and frame the shingles, I ripped some 1x4s at a 45° angle and then joined them with glue and nails.

Above: This isn't the best picture, but it shows one corner with the wood trim secured to the roof. This will really help protect the edges of the roof from wear and tear, and weather. I will also cap the peak for clean lines.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus it might give it a little more rigidity. I just wanted to use the word rigidity. It looks great.
You are a strange little man! :p

I know the roof will be up where the wind can get it, so I do want to make it more durable. I'm also going a bit overboard on the blue -- just to be safe.

I'm a little worried about the last few pieces I put on this afternoon -- since the rain came in. I'm hoping the glue had a chance to set before getting soaked. If not, I'll just try again tomorrow.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
It didn't rain here for some reason. I saw it rain at the Torch Light Parade on TV and my sister said it was raining in Issaquah. Good luck on the projects tomorrow. It is still too hot for me to work on any projects. :)

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It didn't rain here for some reason. I saw it rain at the Torch Light Parade on TV and my sister said it was raining in Issaquah. Good luck on the projects tomorrow. It is still too hot for me to work on any projects. :)
We had heavy clouds come through around 7pm and it rained pretty good for about half an hour. I'm grateful I was able to finish barbequing before the rain started. I also went out and moved all of the shingle sheets into the garage -- just to be safe.

Hopefully, I'll be able to paint the highlights and shadows today, and start securing the shingles to the roof.

The nice thing about the heat is glue and paint dries pretty quick, so you can move through building stages quickly. That's a lot better than building in October when nothing dries!! (Unless you're building in the garage.)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks great.

Try living here where its hot all the time and the paint dries before you even get it out of the bucket.

I have tried to bribe the nieghbor kids into helping, but they start complaing when you tie a paint brush to thier little hands.....

Does no one work for cookies anymore?

·
Registered
453 Posts
TK it's looking awesome, soon enough I'll be loading up my crew to come see all you're creations!
My crew always seem to run to the hills when I ask for help.
Wanna trade a few kids?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts