Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modified this grandmother clock that I found on Craigslist. I used servos for the hands and pendulum. The time between "scare" mode is adjustable by DIP switches on the controller board. The sound is provided by a WAV Trigger board with an SD card, and during ambient ticking mode, random noises will play for an occasional scare.

There is room for improvement, but I spent enough time already on this single prop for 2014! However, any recommendations are always welcome!

Clock Longcase clock Furniture Home accessories Wall clock

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Your clock looks fantastic! I like the black paint (I assume you did that) for sure. I have a very similar clock and debated on painting it...I think I may need to now. I really like the backwards running of the hands. I'm not a techy guy by any means so can you explain how you created the movement and the sounds? I usually have the sounds of a grandfather clock downloaded to an ipod and simply have it hooked to a portable speaker that is put inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct, the original clock was brown stained wood. Black went better with our other decor. You could certainly achieve a similar effect using an ipod, basic motors, and speakers, but I had all of these parts available and wanted a lot of specific functionality.

The pendulum is moved by a high-torque standard servo motor. I just set the angle of the pendulum, wait a couple seconds, then set the angle back the other way. The clock hands are moved with a continuous spin servo, one that doesn't have a rotational limit like a traditional servo. This could also be done with a standard motor, but my original plan was to move the hands in both directions at varying speeds, and that was easier with a servo. The motor is connected to the gears of the original clock with a rubber band belt.

The sound is controlled by a board called the "WAV Trigger". The microcontroller sends a signal to play scary mode, and the WAV board picks one of three scary tracks for a minute. Also, it plays one of fourteen random scare noises when the clock is just ticking. These details might be overkill, but I enjoy the finished product! Below is a photo of the servos in the clock and the pendulum attached to the servo.

Room Technology Electronics Vehicle Machine

Machine Furniture

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep an eye out for grandmother clocks on Craigslist. I was looking for grandfather's and stumbled upon the smaller, cheaper grandmother clock. It's still 6 feet tall which is usually sufficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts