Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to this website. I am really brand new to making Halloween item too. But I jumped in head first and I am having a blast creating this stuff. I started a project for my daughter, a haunted dollhouse. Just curious if anyone else has done this and has any advice. My biggest fear is that the paint will just flake off after a short period of time. The first picture is what it looked like in the beginning.
Dollhouse begin.jpg
Dollhouse1.jpg
Dollhouse2.jpg
Dollhouse3.jpg
Dollhouse4.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Once I get it completely painted and put it back together, I plan on gluing some moss and vines along the sides of it. It has been super fun doing it. Been looking for more dollhouses to paint.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Looks great! I love the way you creeped it up. :)

As for the paint flaking, I know Krylon makes a spray paint especially for plastic, but I've never used it so can't say how well it works. Maybe a clear matte spray would help protect it, but since it's for your daughter, I don't know how long the smell of the paint would linger.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
First of all, that looks fantastic! :)

My daughter has suggested something similar with a VERY large dollhouse that she has, and we're trying to figure out a 'look'. I think we may take some liberal inspiration and ideas (e.g. steal) from Disney's Haunted Mansion.

With that said, the plastic question is a tricky one, especially given how far along your project is. However, I would offer the following comments in general.

- Sanding plastic will likely help with adhesion of paint
- Cleaning with alcohol will likely assist as well
- Using a primer coat prior to painting will improve the final result
- Krylon 'Fusion' is designed to work well with plastic (Mentioned by lizzyborden above, and largely true in my experience)
- A flat matte sealer might help with the long term results (e.g. Testors 'Dull Cote')

Best of luck with the rest of your project!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That looks great! Years ago, I had a dollhouse that I was creating to be my interpretation of The Magic Box, the shop from Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show. I loved making everything creepy & aged!

I absolutely agree with using the Krylon spray paint in the future, even if only for a base coat - I've used it on an outdoor plastic playhouse before, and then *definitely* seal it when you are done. Using a sealer is going to be key, and since the house will be played with, maybe even a couple of coats of sealer after it dries thoroughly each time.

Another person on the forum was talking recently about doing a Halloween miniature shadowbox. I sent them the link below because I came across it & thought it was fun inspiration for a spooky dollhouse - it's furniture but with a Halloween twist!

http://www.collectionsetc.com/product/collectible-halloween-mini-furniture-set--5-pc.aspx?rvi=1

Hope to see more photos as you finish!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great! It reminds me of a book I had as a kid with a little girl witch who had a haunted dollhouse!

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,309 Posts
Brand new to this website. I am really brand new to making Halloween item too. But I jumped in head first and I am having a blast creating this stuff. I started a project for my daughter, a haunted dollhouse. Just curious if anyone else has done this and has any advice. My biggest fear is that the paint will just flake off after a short period of time. The first picture is what it looked like in the beginning.
View attachment 247557
View attachment 247558
View attachment 247559
View attachment 247560
View attachment 247561
I'm not a bid doll or dollhouse fan, but this looks Fantastic. Great transformation scarygiant the aging and patina are to nicely detailed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone. I just got back from vacation and I am getting back into painting this again. Hopefully I can have some more pictures in a few days.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That's looking awesome! I really want to come over & play with it! :D
My favorite part of dolls/dollhouses/barbies has always been setting up the furniture & arranging the rooms. Are you going to make the furniture or buy some? Or both? Do you have a doll family that will live there already?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have all of the plastic furniture that came with it. I may just paint that. I put a black coat on the table that came with the house and that will be my first piece of furniture once I "scary" it up. Surprisingly, dollhouse furniture is expensive.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Love it! It turned out wonderful! I especially love the touch of the boarded up windows - great detail! This is going to be something fun to do each year for a long, long time! Perhaps something your DD's children will play with someday! :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well, your awesome redo totally inspired me to try my hand at one for my kids. My DD4 had a dollhouse already that I didn't want to change, so I redid a Castle playset instead, and we'll pack it up each year & bring it out again at Halloween. There are a bunch of pics in my album called "Projects 2015" , so I'll only post one here to show you what you made me do. Ha ha ha!

Thanks for the inspiration!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts