Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter (age 7) and I were out hitting garage sales. She spots this wooden dollhouse and grabs her own money and buys it before I can ask her what she needs another dollhouse for. Well, in the car she tells me she wants to turn it into a haunted house. (Ya, I'm proud). So, we hit the craft store to look at doll house furniture and OMG is that stuff expensive. Do any of you have a haunted doll house? Any tips on how to furnish this thing? I've got a shopping basket full of Lemax stuff that i'm thinking about. We'll fill it with the dollar store skeletons and whatever else we can find there. Already bought that 16 piece haunted house thing from the dollar tree. Any other ideas or pics for inspiration? Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
try buying cheaper stuff and paint it or add things to it to make it scary. ( paint, beeds, strings, small skeletons or make small bat's out of paper to decorate.
My mum makes dollhouses and made me a halloween store a few years ago. with a graveyard in front with small stones and pieces of old trees from the yard. it had a witch behind the dest and tiny halloween costumes and candy. it was so cute!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with tweety. Reuse other stuff. A chess set provides four castles -- use for bird feeder, garden ball holder, pillars for porches, table bases, etc. Pawns (the same, plus upside down and glued to the ceiling they can provide a basis for ceiling fans, light fixtures, etc. And they make great staircase parts). Yard sales can provide amazing stuff. Use part of broken comb can as a balcony railing. Or maybe the slats on an Adirondack chair. Dead/dried flowers and leaves add atmosphere. Dried grass, thread, and a twig make a broom. She's 7, so think about non-scary. Cut a plastic milk jug into ghost shapes for the windows. Is there glass in the windows? Maybe make some ghosts or shapes out of Elmer's Glue and food dye. It sort of turns into window clings. A couple of beads glued together can make a bottle. Mom might have to make the label!
Tell us exactly what you or she wish you could buy or want for the house, and let us see if we can figure out how to make it!
Edited to ad: Just found this. I was looking on Pinterest, saw this and thought of you. How to Haunt Your Dollhouse, LOL. Not what it is called, but it's neat.
http://cauldroncraftminiatures.blogspot.com/2009/07/dollhouse-miniature-tutorial-how-to.html

·
Registered
270 Posts
I found a Flickr site that has lots of stuff, including how to make doll house accessories. The directions are actually pages from very old magazines, and are in French, but there are some GREAT ideas. I wish I knew French!
You have to wade through a lot of stuff to get to the dollhouse stuff, but it's worth it. She allows downloading of her items, too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffeta/with/2581753471

·
Registered
268 Posts
My daughter and I have been working together on creating a haunted dollhouse using an old fisher price house. It's a fun project and allows for a lot of girl time. We have found some furniture pieces at Dollar Tree ( tables and dressers) as well as a bathtub that was being sold in the makeup aisle that held some body wash but is the right size. Also in the makeup aisle are small bottles of nail gems which make excellent potion bottles.We also took a mummy sarcophagus from the toy aisle painted bejeweled it with nail gems and displayed it. Wallpapers and flooring as well as books and other accessories can be printed from your computer. A marble will make an excellent crystal ball. Our family is made from DT skellies and we are currently working on outfitting them. You can create the skellie children by removing a set of bones from both their arms and legs and hot gluing them back together after trimming down their fingers and toes. Small accessories can also be created using clay. Cheesecloth is good for creating curtains, wrapping a mummy or creating the ghost in your attic. Post your progress I would love to see what you and your daughter create :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spooky, those are some great ideas i never thought about. especially the curtains! We're in the works of painting it yet. I hit up EHobby and found some lemax chairs and things. Normally our dollar tree has furniture, but of course when i want it, it's not there. I did find a cheaper dollhouse site online and we got a bed and couch. And of course, when we're done i'll post some pics. Now I just gotta find or build a table for this thing cause I think we're going to end up with a bigger set up than just the house.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If any furniture turns up in my Dollar Tree I will let you know and pick up some pieces for you. Going to hobby shop tommorrow that's about an hour away hopefully I will find some treasures, or at least a treasure chest need one for the attic

·
Registered
387 Posts
I love this thread!! I made a haunted cauldron years ago (35 years ago . . .whew that was a long time ago!) when there wasn't anything for a haunted doll house. May I suggest that let you and your daughter's imaginations run wild and make all or most of your furnishings!!! It is so much fun and there won't be another piece of furniture out there like yours! Lol. If not Michaels used to carry some great unpainted hutches (2,99), coffins (1.99) (if scale isn't an issue) and other items you can use for her haunted house. Cake decorating departments will have Halloween picks that make dandy miniatures to use too. Here is a short rundown of the Witch's Cauldren I made too many years to even remember! Lol. It may give you some ideas for things you two might like to make.

Witches Kitchen:
I cut the side out of a large cauldron flower pot and I added a floor. I made a fireplace out of balsa wood and I glued brown pebbles/gravel from my driveway for a rustic look. I made the kitchen table out of an oblong piece of balsa for the table top. I took an old broken chair and used Sculpy to make a screaming face for the chair back. I went to Radio Shack and bought some long capacitors made them into crude spiders that were almost as tall as the table. I bought a doll house mirror and painted fine black lines so that the mirror looked cracked. Get this . . . I actually painted cobwebs on Saran Wrap! Lol. I used Sculpy to make ghost statues, J-O-L's and other things for her home. I made a broom with a face that stood up in the corner of the room. Oh and little books--I bought several doll house books and wrote in gold ink in little tiny letters 'Spells" and other related things. Hmm . . . memory going blank. Good grief . . . I can't remember more of it since I've not looked at if for many many years. It got knocked off of a high shelf by my cat and was pretty broken up. I'm going to look for it and for any pictures I might find. Just think of the hours you and your daughter can spend working together on things for the haunted house!!!!!!

GiggleingGhost ( I know . . . I saw that I misspelled my name After I hit okay when I registered!!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
387 Posts
My daughter and I have been working together on creating a haunted dollhouse using an old fisher price house. It's a fun project and allows for a lot of girl time. We have found some furniture pieces at Dollar Tree ( tables and dressers) as well as a bathtub that was being sold in the makeup aisle that held some body wash but is the right size. Also in the makeup aisle are small bottles of nail gems which make excellent potion bottles.We also took a mummy sarcophagus from the toy aisle painted bejeweled it with nail gems and displayed it. Wallpapers and flooring as well as books and other accessories can be printed from your computer. A marble will make an excellent crystal ball. Our family is made from DT skellies and we are currently working on outfitting them. You can create the skellie children by removing a set of bones from both their arms and legs and hot gluing them back together after trimming down their fingers and toes. Small accessories can also be created using clay. Cheesecloth is good for creating curtains, wrapping a mummy or creating the ghost in your attic. Post your progress I would love to see what you and your daughter create :)
Ohhhhhhhh I'd love to see some pictures. Sounds great!!

GiggleingGhost ( I know . . . I saw that I misspelled my name After I hit okay when I registered) :rolleyes:

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Since this is the most recent dollhouse post I could find, I thought I'd post about my new 1:12 scale Halloween-related find here. Today I bought a gurney with corpse figure that turns out to be from an X-Files action figure set. Before you cringe at words like "action figure" and "plastic," you need to check this out. My mother is into very high end scale miniatures that cost gajillions of dollars each, but when she saw these in person she was over the moon at the detail and subject matter. Be sure to check out the detail photo of the gurney at the link below:

http://www.hobbyid.com/gurney-agent-dana-scully-suit-corpse-7153.html

Looks like you can get them in the $15 - 20 shipped price range on evilBay. E.g.,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-The-X-Files-Agent-Dana-Scully-Action-Corpse-Figures-1998-McFarlane-Toys-/400817352816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d52937070

1 - 12 of 12 Posts