Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update #2 -- Shows the making of the church bell. Scroll down for new pics and video.
------
Soooo, I'm going to try making a mini church, inspired by TXYardHaunter's Burning Chapel post. Carpentry has always been an elusive skill to me. Measure twice, cut once...as the saying goes. But that assumes you have the right measurement to begin with. I'm starting early and slowly to create what's kinda like an advent calendar: open windows (and a door) and get a surprise. The following video is the first that I'll post as the project progresses. It shows the making of a single "flat," the first panel of many that will be assembled into the church. The video features use of an Atmosfx projection effect, which I can't help but feel is cheating--it's too easy. But people were fascinated by the Boo Crew 3D projection I used last year. The video also shows use of pneumatic cylinders to open (and eventually close) shutters. I haven't decided what surprises the church will have in addition to the morphing stained glass windows. Plenty of time to figure it out. Right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Soooo, I'm going to try making a mini church, inspired by TXYardHaunter's Burning Chapel post. Carpentry has always been an elusive skill to me. Measure twice, cut once...as the saying goes. But that assumes you have the right measurement to begin with. I'm starting early and slowly to create what's kinda like an advent calendar: open windows (and a door) and get a surprise. The following video is the first that I'll post as the project progresses. It shows the making of a single "flat," the first panel of many that will be assembled into the church. The video features use of an Atmosfx projection effect, which I can't help but feel is cheating--it's too easy. But people were fascinated by the Boo Crew 3D projection I used last year. The video also shows use of pneumatic cylinders to open (and eventually close) shutters. I haven't decided what surprises the church will have in addition to the morphing stained glass windows. Plenty of time to figure it out. Right?

That’s pretty impressive… I do love the morphing stained glass. Looking forward to seeing your progress and final product.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Thank you…but the video is showing my third version of the panel.
We hung a "Door" yesterday. .. as in... it took us all day to attach 3 hinges & cut the bottom a half inch. You customized 2 shutters, the frame, electronics, ect, etc,
You are are either an artist or crazy genius or both.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kudos for getting them to open 180 degrees like you wanted.
Thanks. Halfway there: I can punch them open, but a couple of the shutters are going to overlap with their neighbors because I made the windows a little too wide (that carpentry thing). I don't think that's going to be a problem but won't know until I bolt two panels together and test. I'm going to need 12 pneumatic cylinders to do all the opening and closing on one side. Could probably get away with fewer, but I like the idea of being able to orchestrate each shutter individually. It works in my head.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Really nice Such a passion!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! That looks amazing! Can’t wait to see the next iteration! Unbelievably cool! How do they close?
Thanks. My hope is that I can ping-pong them back and forth with the pneumatic cylinders--a simple, hidden-to-the-eye (though inelegant) solution. It means buying a bunch of cylinders, which I've ordered. I'll experiment with the back-and-forth once they arrive. In the meantime, I need a bigger garage.
Wood Wall Gas Machine Metal

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is beautiful!!! I LOVE the Advent calendar style for the different scenes, it's gonna play like a movie to take in a little at a time instead of the full hit of the display all at once and I think that seems so cool to control the pace of the display. The screen may feel like cheating to you but I think it looks amazing and you are creating an entire building for it...so don't be too hard on yourself. 😉 Can't wait to see what you pick for the other windows and doors. Since you already have the compressor rigged are you doing any movement/jumps/scares that come through with the openings?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Welp...been working on the church. Thank heaven it's a dilapidated church because the construction has been pretty rough. Whatever you've heard about the price of wood is true--it's freakin' expensive! Some pics:

This is one side, made from four detachable panels. The siding is made from thin underlayment and will be painted white with a "crackle" additive. Not sure what to do with the three spaces in each window arch.
Wood Floor Ceiling Chair Facade

I cut the window arches from plywood. I was going to use rigid foam board but decided it would get too banged up. I found a line drawing of an arch and projected an image of it onto a very thin sheet of plywood, zooming in and out until it matched the width of the window opening. Then I traced around the edges and cut out the shape to use as a pattern.
Wood Art Road surface Grass Sculpture

Next is a picture of the church's front, including the extended entryway. Smaller windows will be cut into the front wall panels.
Wood Plant Door Grass Wood stain

This is the bell tower that will be attached above the doorway. Like the rest of the church, it breaks down into smaller sections for movement and storage.
Plant Wood Hardwood Grass Agriculture

The last four photos show the steeple. The first version of the steeple was all one unit but was too large to move easily. I made a second version in two sections that bolt together. The shingles--also made from underlayment--will eventually be painted. I'm grateful people won't be able to see it up close.
Couch Wood Rectangle Plant Table

Property Plant Window Building Table

Property Building Wood Land lot Grass

Plant Building Window Wood Grass

Did I imagine the church being this big? Uh....no.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts