Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on a Haunted Christmas theme on Halloween? Santa, elves, snowmen, reindeer... What could possibly go wrong?

Has anyone tried something like this? If so, how did it go over? Or is this too edgy?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Halloween in December has been tried.. but not with good attendance, as I remember it .
A Haunt would buy a ton of Christmas lights, string them up and advertise and who shows up to a light show?
Car loads of kids , Grand parents who will only pay .. not enough to make it worth doing according to those who tried it. (Not Me)
Every Fall some discover Ravens Grin and are So enthused they ask us if we would be open Christmas or New Years?
But then they never call or show up.. because it's "Snowing"? "Cold out?" "The major roads are impassable?"
All excellent reasons to remain at home... just as we are, and we know they never call or show up because we live in The Ravens Grin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I meant was having a haunted Christmas theme in October. I would completely avoid anything religious. I am not sure how parents might receive my display. I already get a handful of complaints. "How dare you, scaring my child?" Yes, that was a real complaint I got in 2015, during my neighborhood nighttime ToT, on Halloween, when my yard can be seen and heard a few houses away.

·
Thrilled To Death
1,715 Posts
Hello demongod, I did this theme for my halloween party this year and turned out great. You can view a few pics in my album if you would like. I want to tell you , if you truly want to do a theme just do it for yourself I'm sure you know what is "to far" and what is not. I thought I may have a few negative responses but did not. But even if I did that would not have stopped me. It was alot of fun and all the guests enjoyed it. Every year we have at least 50 to 100 guests and they all wondered how I would pull this theme off and alot of them couldn't believe how it turned out and how much fun it was. Good luck! And feel free to ask for help!!

Also thank you pumpkinpie!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it is a pretty cool idea!! Nightmare before Christmas took Christmas and made it spooky/Halloween themed and people love it, it also works well on the Haunted mansion ride at Disneyland, so why not at a home haunt? I think a spooky Christmas theme is awesome, myself. (My son's preschool teacher may not agree, as he overheard me telling my hubby about Krampus/Krampus night, and talked about it at preschool, that did not go over well, haha!)

·
Registered
13,766 Posts
I don't think I would go for the Santa theme exactly. Today I was organizing some halloween props and while taking batteries out of two of Gemmy's roving eyeballs (bought to use in a mad lab) somehow thought of a Build-a-Creature factory (kind of like the brick and mortar store that uses bears as their basis) where you would have a mad monster toy maker of sorts working on creating toy monsters with different body parts, teeth, eyes, scars, fur and skin. Guess you could throw in elves (seasonal employees who later head north for winter employment). Of course the creations would have to be more like Frankenstein creations for halloween.

I do remember seeing somewhere a while back that someone had built a cool workshop with conveyor belt and such. Might have been for Christmas and not Halloween but the idea was nicely executed on their lawn using wooden cutout facades I think. Been a while and wish I could be of more help pointing you to their video but would have no idea where to even begin. Just remember the conveyor belt and turning wheels on the "toy making" machines were fun to watch.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Sorry to be so late to the party! I wanted to mention that there are a lot of dark, dark folktales that take place around Christmas time, especially from the Nordic countries. Your audience may not be familiar with them, but if you can educate them in a quick and fun way, or don't mind if your audience doesn't understand why a gigantic Yule cat is eating children wearing only used clothes on your front lawn, go for it - and show us all how it worked out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts