Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are worried about strength you could always coat it in fiberglass resin before you paint it. I have done this on several MM props and works great. Depending on how big your cave is

-PB

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a great help

This is a great idea, I've been trying to come up with a way to do a Cave myself, my space is outside in the back. I still need to find the minimally priced solution to building self standing walls. I have no walls in the back yard so I have to find a way to build walls. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I made my cave setup with wood, screen and monster mud. I priced out the foam kits and the drywall mud is a whole lot cheaper. Works great. Photos are on my profile.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like you pulled off a nice cave. Drywall mudd is much cheaper, but running though thousands of people per season it just wouldn't hold up for our use. The foam has stood up to all sorts of abuse and still looks awesome.

Congrats on your finished product!

I made my cave setup with wood, screen and monster mud. I priced out the foam kits and the drywall mud is a whole lot cheaper. Works great. Photos are on my profile.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a great idea, I've been trying to come up with a way to do a Cave myself, my space is outside in the back. I still need to find the minimally priced solution to building self standing walls. I have no walls in the back yard so I have to find a way to build walls. any ideas?

If you went with the foam method as I did, the wall could be created to be free standing and pieced together with pvc pipe or anything really.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Looks like you pulled off a nice cave. Drywall mudd is much cheaper, but running though thousands of people per season it just wouldn't hold up for our use. The foam has stood up to all sorts of abuse and still looks awesome.

Congrats on your finished product!
Your walls turned out excellent. This was a great project, if I expand this in the future, I will use the foam material. This effect is so real looking with the proper lighting, I want to create more caves.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just brainstorming but could you water down monster mud enough to spray it with a texture paint gun?
That is exactly the way I did my walls. Here are 2 pictures of how they turned out. This doesn't show any further painting. With the dark lighting, the walls didn't need more detail. Just preference. The mud only needed to be thinned just enough. Don't add too much water. Mix up a batch with your paint, then add some water and mix it in. Try this first before add too much water. It depends on your sprayer type.

Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
I found this thread while researching cave building. I am very impressed. My cave plan is different because it needs to move. I need to be able to move the cave from the backyard to the frontyard. I am planning on building a 16x8 plywood platform on 6" casters. I was thinking of using chicken wire, burlap, and a portland concrete mixture. The foam looks really awesome and now has me reconsidering. Did you do any overhead spraying? If so did that work well? How thick is the foam? Did you use fast rise or slow rise foam? I would guess one kit would handle my cave if two kits covered 36 feet. Great work and thanks for sharing this project.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The only potential problem I see is that it would be extremely fragile and could break off in chunks. But otherwise I see this as a nice alternative to the foam.
My cave walls have not chipped, nor broken. This method worked
Perfectly, I made more walls this year. A great and cheap project to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that the pink insulation type foam is great for rocks, caves, etc. It can be easily manipulated and it will hold it's shape and texture when painted unlike white foam. For a quicker cave effect I sometimes use the plastic dark green large trash liners, split them so have more square footage and hang loosely for effect.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,799 Posts
61 - 80 of 80 Posts