Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been asked by several pople how to make a cave out of foam insulation. So, here's my first attempt in a tutorial, hope it works out well...

First off, this is NOT great stuff foam! You can do it with great stuff but it's more of a headache than it's worth.

So, here's the hall that will be transformed:

I began by stapling regular screen material to the wall and realized that there would need to be some sort of back fill to hold the shape while the foam was being sprayed. So I began stuffing plastic and newspapers in the voids.

*sorry no picture for that.

But here is a picture of the lower 4' completed:

I realized that it would be easier to staple the plastic to the wall first and then cover with the screen. So that's how it went for the rest of the design.

Here is the completed 1st phase of the hallway:

Later this week I will begin to apply the foam and provide progess pics since I'm doing the tutorial now.

The foam: Tiger Foam | Spray Foam Insulation Kits
Screen: 48" x 100' Silver Gray Fiberglass Screen
Plastic: any filler will work

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the flash does give the screen a neat appearance.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This hallway will probably require 2 kits, each kit covers approx. 600sq ft depending on the thickness it is sprayed. I went with the window screen to prevent "blowout" and to salvage as much foam as I can. If I used the standard "chicken wire" the foam would spray right through the holes and it would take that much more foam to build up the walls.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it would hold up great outdoors and is water-resistant. If you wanted a more permenant structure you could always come back with a hard coat and you'd be set.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great!! I've been looking at the different hard coats out there and it seems that Steve Biggs foam coat from FX supply is the most recommended. Do you agree? What do you use?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's looking very good so far Bear ... I'll be watching for more pics! :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wyatt, it would work great as rockwork, like I stated earlier you might want to hard coat it though.

Oldsguy, Biggs foam coat seems to be a nice product. I've never used it but have used the Vanillacryl and it works great. I can also recommend the Hotwire Foam Coat. It works well, dries fairly quick, and is sandable. They say once painted it is outdoor safe.

I personally use a product from Smooth-on called C-1508 So I guess it will be a personal preference or cost decision.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hotwire Foam Factory :: Accessories :: #025Bulk - Foam Coat
Mind Blowing Materials for A World of Applications - Smooth-On, Inc.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lookin good so far, I thought popped into my head that you could use wire cloth with a 1/4 or 3/8 inch opening and hot glue landscape cloth to the back, would work well as a backing and you wouldn't need so much paper and plastic stuffing.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right, and for a small area that would work great. But, for the size and time I just went with the quick and easy route. Plus, I hate hotglue...got a nasty burn from shooting webs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The build continues...

OK, got the camera charged up and shot a few pictures this morning on the first layer of foam.

Here's two without flash:

And here's two with flash:

Want to do a walk through, well here ya go....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice Bear ... looks like it's turning out great!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, yeah...I was leary about how thick to go with the foam so I just did a quick coat to see how it would do. I ordered another batch of foam and this will be more than enough to complete the cave. I'll use great stuff to fill in some of the bigger gaps where the wire moved while spraying.

Stay tuned...more to come later this week.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two what? The tunnel is about 36' in total length, with two turns.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts