Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I get it. So far it's okay. I'm in my first year with their magazine. There are interesting articles taking you through walk-throughs in professional haunts and a couple of good tutorials. There was a huge break between the last issue and this (I originally thought they forgot to mail mine) so there seems to be some problems going on. So, so far, I can say it's okay and almost worth the subscription.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
I subscribe and I like it, mainly because there is nothing else like it. The content is certainly trade focused, meaning it is very congratulatory and celebratory of industry events. The tutorials are okay. I found some interesting stuff from the vendor ads, which really paid off.

It is really high quality, but it is a quarterly magazine, 4 per year.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is a really good magazine if you like anything haunt related. Other good mags are Hauntworld and 13th hour magazine. 13th Hour is HUGE and beautifully put together. It rivals most major magazines for pics, layouts and stories. It is a free subscription.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've gotten it for a couple years. It's great if you own a pro haunt or plan on going pro someday. I really love the articles on the haunts. Plus, the ads are really valuable.
13th Hour is really good for the pictures, but it doesn't offer much in content.
Hauntworld is ok, I prefer Haunted Attraction

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
HA is fine for Home Haunters. You can find vendors you never knew existed and inspiration for your own haunt.

They have mostly pro haunts, but they also have some of the serious home haunts, the caliber of Davis Graveyard. They have prop building how-tos that can be useful for you.

Plus, if you wonder what goes on during haunt conventions... here's your source.

The magazine comes so hot off the press, you can smell fresh ink for days!

Just do it, it's cheap when amortized over the whole year.

·
Registered
628 Posts
According to their ad in HA, 13th Hour's site is www.13thhourmagazine.com but I cant get it to load.

I pretty much agree with everything wilbret said. And the ink smells awesome :D
You may want to order a back issue and see how you like it before you decide on the subscription

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Question: Last year, I picked up a "Special Double Issue" at TransWorld, then suscribed. However, that "double-issue" seems to be the same size (thickness/page-count) as subsequent issues. Anyone notice that?

Also, I thought it came out every-other month. No?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I must have started after the double-issue (never seen it). The most recent issue is the 50th issue and it is double-sized from the normal ones. Plus, if I remember correctly, the last issue I got before this one was around Halloween! I think Wilbert is right, it's a quarterly magazine. I heard a blurb on Rotten Flesh Radio saying that there was a 'problem' about the time gap from this issue to the last. But he said it's fixed now and didn't give details.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've been a subscriber of HA magazine for many years.
Been happy with each & every issue. Yeah, there was some kind of problem last year & that delayed issues. Just got the current issue #50 in the mail on Wednesday! Yes, it's a quarterly magazine & comes out 4 times a year. It's a good idea to pickup some back issues to see the "vibe" of the magazine & what they cover.

If you have any questions, please email & I'll do my best to answer.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
By the way, looked at the 13th Hour magazine at the show. It looked very professional, in fact, the most professional-looking of the bunch. It had some articles in it but I didn't get a chance to look at it very well. You see, I couldn't focus because I was in shock from the price of $80 a year for four issues. WOW! :eek:

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I can't find them online and the site link doesn't seem to work. Are they still publishing? I would sign up for a free subscription in a heartbeat!

It is a really good magazine if you like anything haunt related. Other good mags are Hauntworld and 13th hour magazine. 13th Hour is HUGE and beautifully put together. It rivals most major magazines for pics, layouts and stories. It is a free subscription.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry at Transworld 13th Hour magazine decided to start charging this year despite the fact they said it would stay free. $79.99/Year 4 issues softback or $99.99/Year hardback.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Dang! :eek:

That is definitely not "free". Too bad. Still, I'd like to see the mag sometime. hopefully their site will be up again.

Sorry at Transworld 13th Hour magazine decided to start charging this year despite the fact they said it would stay free. $79.99/Year 4 issues softback or $99.99/Year hardback.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts